Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm curious to know which piece (singular, not plural!!!) do you find the most challenging?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sure I'll change my mind two minutes after I post this but here goes...

Klonos by Piet Swerts - this was killing my fingers tonight - and the second mvt of the Ibert Concertino for musical issues (also a problem this evening)

I either need to practice more or less-I'm not sure.

C

·
0 Posts
Mary had a little lamb. That friggin lamb is always screwin me up ! :x

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Fuzzy Bird

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Young-
Im glad your fingers hurt. Thats what you get for stealing KLONOS out from under my nose in Brussels! :)

I hav been working the Brahms Clarinet Sonatas, and these are killing me. Not the most technically difficult, but the music!! The MUSIC!!!!! Hard.

Steve P

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Steve P said:
Young-
Im glad your fingers hurt. Thats what you get for stealing KLONOS out from under my nose in Brussels! :)

I hav been working the Brahms Clarinet Sonatas, and these are killing me. Not the most technically difficult, but the music!! The MUSIC!!!!! Hard.

Steve P
Hard, but definitely worth it.;)

·
Banned
624 Posts
well, for me, one of the most challenging things that I tried to do was to learn and play the 1st bach cello suite on sax... it's a great technical exercise with the huge intervals, and, there is nowhere to breath. :D

but what I never expected was that I would later use "licks" from it in my jazz playing. :shock: this one chromatic run with huge interval leaps in the piece taught me how to do things I never thought to do before, or I could do part of it but never technically mastered going between certain notes, so after doing that bach piece I am better off in my jazz playing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd say balance wise in the midst of an entire ensemble, it's Drammatico or They Hung Their Harps by the Willows. INTENSE pieces =].

·
Registered
491 Posts
the hardest piece I've seen is through a Glass Darkly by Hans Kox. It is technically difficult with lots of altissimo going up to a high "A" above fourth ledger line "A" with much of the altissimo moving around quickly. Very difficult.

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't seen it, but I imagine the saxophone arrangement of Boulez's 'Dialogue de l´ombre double' is fairly taxing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Canzone for solo clarinet by Tristan Keuris that John-Edward Kelly recorded. I performed this work a few months back and not only is very demanding on one's technique, but the musical demands are very taxing. It takes a lot to make sense out of something that at first glance (or hearing) doesn't make much sense.

·
Distinguished Member
637 Posts
Hey Brian, would you happen to know why JEK recorded it half a step up from what's written though? I think it was half a step up, I forgot.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
NeilMcG said:
I haven't seen it, but I imagine the saxophone arrangement of Boulez's 'Dialogue de l´ombre double' is fairly taxing.
You know, I tend to agree. I haven't seen this one either, but after repeatedly watching the video of V. David playing this effortlessly at WSC XIV, this sounds really really difficult. And considering V. David's virtual perfection in his recordings of other insanely difficult works with which I'm much more familiar, I wouldn't doubt that this one was right on the money too.

Or maybe it's because we're both from Birmingham....

Angel

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dannel said:
Hey Brian, would you happen to know why JEK recorded it half a step up from what's written though? I think it was half a step up, I forgot.
It's a whole step up, I think. I need to check that, though. As far as I know, Kelly preferred the lighter color that resulted from taking the piece up. After performing/studying it, I can honestly say that it is more idiomatic for the clarinet.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I dont think there is an arrangement, so to speak, of the Boulez. I could be wrong, but I thought that V.David, and Michael Ibrahim both did the arrangement themselves...

Can anyone clarify?
Steve P

1 - 20 of 40 Posts