Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Haven't heard of this horn. I assume it's gold plated? I''m only aware of the lacquered, unlacquered, and silver plated horns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(sorry for my english!, i'm not very good :)

yes, i don't really know too. When i "bought" (?don't know if it's the right word) it. The salesman said to me that it had of them only 2 in Canada and approximately 3 others in the world... So I don't have much information about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I see that they have a black lacquer one too but I don't see any info on a gold plated one. I can say that you'll love the 82z!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah! i really love it, in september i will beginning a music jazz program in a CEGEP of quebec. I am really impatient to start!

And it's for this reason that i have changed my sax.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just incase anyone is interested, It seems to me that the yts-82z can be had in a gold plate option for a rather hefty sum, if you look at the yts-82z options on this site

http://www.wind*Censored*.co.uk/Woodwind/Yamaha/YamahaWind.htm

I didn't see anyhting about a gold plated alto, but it seems pretty rare to start out anyway...

·
Registered
104 Posts
anyone know why it keeps putting *censored* in the middle of this link?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
There must be a word in the link that's tagged as offensive or inappropriate by the moderators.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Found the site that you were talking about, saxandstrings. It was wind jammer music . co . uk, right? If so, the RETAIL price of the YTS 82ZG was 9999 pounds sterling, being sold by them for 6999 pounds.

For some reason, they call it the YAS 82ZG, even though it is in the tenor section, with tenor prices.
YAS82ZG Gold Plated (Special Order) RRP £9999.00 Our Price £6999.00 Save £3000.00!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, it's expensive. but it's really a really good sax.
i foud many information about alo gold plated. It's like a test by yamaha. they just do it in a "limited edition" .

alto gold plated are between 9 000$ and 14 000$ ($canadian)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Aud12321 said:
yeah, it's expensive. but it's really a really good sax.
i foud many information about alo gold plated. It's like a test by yamaha. they just do it in a "limited edition" .

alto gold plated are between 9 000$ and 14 000$ ($canadian)
While it's true that the Yamaha 82Z is a good saxophone, what exactly about this particular horn makes it "a really good sax"? Is it because it's gold-plated? And/or is it because it costs more than other saxes, i.e. higher price = better sax?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Whoa. I just did the conversion. $14,117US for a saxophone?? What can one possibly gain by spending ~$12,000US, or ~566%, more?? Somehow I doubt that a player will sound 566% better simply by switching to the gold-plated horn. I'm willing to bet that that player will sound exactly the same on the gold-plated horn as he does on a regular gold-lacquered 82Z alto.

Can someone prove me wrong here? Hehe. :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
jmm1713 said:
if you are going to spend that much - get a gold plated mark vi -- I have one . they are great !
I think you could buy TWO for that price.

I'm happy with the "regular" 82Z that I have, I know that I will NEVER outgrow it. If anything, it will decide that I am not worthy of it.

To me, that kind of sax is just a status symbol (the gold plated Yamaha), and definitely NOT worth the extra $12,000.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I know many are just thinking out loud, but did anyone notice that Audi12321 is 17? Unless he's living a life of crime or his parents are not only obscenely rich but overly indulgent as well, he ain't getting one.

Now, to thinking out loud -
- there's an old adage "you can't polish a t*rd." If that Mark VI isn't a great one, gold plating ain't gonna make it play any better anyhow
- if I was going to spend $14,000 bucks, I'd get me a used YAS 62 and spend the rest on lessons with the greatest sax teachers there are
- lastly, the observations above about the plating itself, even if it would make a difference, most of us will die before we get good enough so anyone could hear the minuscule difference

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
9000 posts! Now, THAT'S obscene!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
saxmanglen said:
9000 posts! Now, THAT'S obscene!
Not only obscene. Embarrasing. :|

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
gary said:
I know many are just thinking out loud, but did anyone notice that Audi12321 is 17? Unless he's living a life of crime or his parents are not only obscenely rich but overly indulgent as well, he ain't getting one.

Now, to thinking out loud -
- there's an old adage "you can't polish a t*rd." If that Mark VI isn't a great one, gold plating ain't gonna make it play any better anyhow
- if I was going to spend $14,000 bucks, I'd get me a used YAS 62 and spend the rest on lessons with the greatest sax teachers there are
- lastly, the observations above about the plating itself, even if it would make a difference, most of us will die before we get good enough so anyone could hear the minuscule difference
Omg, a post by gary that I agree 100% with? Did hell just freeze over? It is feeling a wee bit chilly around here... :p

Actually, I disagree with one part of his post. I think all professional horns can be "great". If a Mark VI you're trying plays like a dud, it's likely out of regulation. A competent repairman can make any good horn play the way it should.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts