1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
565 Posts
The "T" is for Tenor. It's hard to see the "H" because the plating has been worn off. Looks like it's in pretty good shape, but being high pitched, it isn't very useful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,970 Posts
Yes, confirm if it actually reads "H"....I cannot see it either. But if it does, it's nothing but an interesting conversation piece and worth maybe $50usd, if that, to anyone wanting to play a Tenor.

Another way to confirm...ask them to measure the horn vertically by standing it on the floor, bow down, with no neck. A standard low-pitch Tenor is 29-1/2" tall, give or take a tad (or whatever the conforming metrics would be). A High should be less than that.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
Enlarged the screen to 200% and it is an H for sure. Not worth anything. Maybe the neck could be used and there should be about $100US or more for the mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
I can definitely see the dreaded H.......leave it alone......or start a HP band , there is all sorts of HP brasswinds and woodwinds around that are not worth anything.

I even know of someone who went to great lengths to have a HP bass rebuilt because they didn't know it was HP..........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Looks like it comes with a nice Berg at least, too bad they don't show more on the mouthpieces.

I don't know what the exchange rate is to US, that MIGHT be worthwhile for the mouthpieces, depending what they are.

If I had the extra money, I might go for it as a "grab bag." At the least, you get a few mouthpieces and can hang the tenor on a wall or make a lamp out of it. Being it's HP, I doubt anyone would really get annoyed at it becoming art.

·
38,837 Posts
the mouthpieces are indeed certainly worth that money

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I'm intrigued by that Berg mouthpiece. What a mis-match with the horn. No wonder it was from a deceased estate - must have died of frustration!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
Not a C as it has the T in the serial number. It will have to stay down under as the shipping to the US would be terrible.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I wonder what it would be worth squashed flat and mounted in a frame?

·
17,970 Posts
......or start an HP band ..........
Yeah, man...as long as the chordal instrument is a guitar, that'd be no problem (just tell the guitar and bass player to tune UP a notch). Hmmm...I suppose if the piano player had a keyboard with one of those adjustable pitch toggles...you'd be OK, too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats why I like this forum....plenty of information out there....I think I'm going to take a punt on the mouthpieces....I'm planning on planting strawberries in the sax....if I get it Ill post pics of the fruit....Strawberries grow year round here....

·
38,837 Posts
Yeah, man...as long as the chordal instrument is a guitar, that'd be no problem (just tell the guitar and bass player to tune UP a notch). Hmmm...I suppose if the piano player had a keyboard with one of those adjustable pitch toggles...you'd be OK, too.
Well, I was thinking more of a woodwind and brass quartet or quintet or even larger. There are HP flutes, clarinets,.......trumpets all worth nothing or next to nothing (although the brasswinds, as I understand, can be actually converted to be used in normalised pitch)

Seriously, if you buy it you might as well play it (it won't be worth having this repadded but if it plays or needs minor work it might be fun) , as long as you don't play it with LP instruments there is nothing wrong with it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gonna buy it if I can.....gonna play it too..Why not...

·
17,970 Posts
Well...because, as noted, it won't play in an ensemble/band setting properly. It'd always be out of tune. No way to get a High Pitch instrument to tune to the standard Low ones...and Low is the standard, 99% of instruments out there....

BUT, you could buy it and sell the mouthpiece(s)...and you might basically be getting the horn for free*, then (however, if we continue talking about it here, it'd get on others' radar so perhaps it might not end quite as low as folks think.....)

*this assuming as Milandro notes, it doesn't need significant work. If it did, it's back to being no sorta deal whatsoever....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts