Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a very personal and subjective issue, but could I please have some recommendations.

I will follow what you say, provided of course, that it is exactly the same as what I want.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
Mark VI & NY Meyer, maybe a wanne mpc.

Practice is overrated.
Whatever you do, don't spend hours and hours practicing from the standard/proven method books and ESPECIALLY don't spend hours studying and imitating recordings, absorbing sound, inflection, time feel etc.
The 10,000 hours practice rule never works.

If you don't do any of these you will be a great saxophone player and any problems you have be solved by changing equipment.
You will then be perfectly qualified to hand-out 'professional' advice on forums such as this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,835 Posts
I recommend sprinkling a little salt on hard boiled eggs and not to cook them too long, leaving , if at all possible, a slightly soft yolk.

I also recommend taking long breaks while doing whatever you are doing right now and try to relax your mind which, in all likelihood given the fact that you felt the need to start such thread, needs relaxation!:bluewink:

·
1,364 Posts
Some recommendations......

Never try and outdrink a trumpet player
Never give a drummer a set of chopsticks in a Chinese resteraunt
Never let your keyboard player navigate the band van
contrary to normal wisdom singers aren't the real enemy, watch out for guitarists though....
If in doubt- don't
If in doubt- go for it anyway......

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Yeah - you need one of those. You really do. No don't listen to those other guys, you really need one of those.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,835 Posts
Yeah - you need one of those. You really do. No don't listen to those other guys, you really need one of those.
I recommend that you discard this advise , you don't need one of those you need one of these

·
1,364 Posts
and one.......of these

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Four fingers of Laphroaig 15year old single malt in a nice Waterford crystal tumbler, with either just a small ice cube or just a bit of cold water. You know you'll want more.........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
No white shoes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
ALWAYS buy the latest thing out, newer is ALWAYS better..and.. ALWAYS believe those that say slanted sigs & offset stamping make mouthpieces sound better and more valuable. Why even a dime a dozen metal Bergs with this distinction go for $450! There is a sucker born every minute and it should be you..

·
1,364 Posts
ALWAYS buy the latest thing out, newer is ALWAYS better..and..
..and always remember everything including the word vintage has got to be worth it too...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Practice is overrated.
Whatever you do, don't spend hours and hours practicing from the standard/proven method books and ESPECIALLY don't spend hours studying and imitating recordings, absorbing sound, inflection, time feel etc.
The 10,000 hours practice rule never works.

If you don't do any of these you will be a great saxophone player and any problems you have be solved by changing equipment.
You will then be perfectly qualified to hand-out 'professional' advice on forums such as this.

+1

Practice IS overrated. What's needed is to spend time on threads like this to get into the heads of other advanced players. Also--forget about going to an instructor--the internet has all you need to be an accomplished player! Finally, you'll sound exactly like Coltrane or Parker as long as you get the same set-up they had.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Oh and please don't try to be an artist. Anything else is fine, as long as you can support your family. Music is not to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you like it, go for it !!!!
But don't buy Chinese crap or Taiwanese crap.
Be carefull too with new things. Overpriced and not good quality.
Do not buy second hand stuffs.
The Vintage thing can be very difficult if you're not an expert ( I mean an Forum expert). Too old, too damaged, old but in good condition is always a problem (not been played: why?).
A closet horn? It smells funny.
Can you consider a mouthpiece to be perfect for you only because it works great, sounds good and you're very comfortable with it if it's not a Vintage Link?
That's how I see it, but it will be perhaps a little bit different if I were, let's say.... the seller.
But I'm not, so....
Hope it helps.

After so many good advices, if you still in doubt, I guess you suffer chronic indecision caused by an Italian metallic alloy from an Italian saxophone.
I'll be more than happy to help you with that. I'll take it for free. Don't worry for me, I'm immune to Italian alloys, I played a Borgani once.
You're welcome

I'll PM my shipping address.
I can pay up to half of the shipping cost

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Eat more chicken and floss between every meal.

B

1 - 20 of 94 Posts