Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title...

I've been offered a pretty good deal ($400) on an Antigua Winds alto saxophone. I need it, as I'm currently pulling double duty in the two Jazz bands at our school - tenor 1 in Jazz A and lead alto in Jazz B. Problem is...I don't have an alto! And frankly, I am soo tired of borrowing them from people. I would likely be upgrading this horn in the near-ish future (would like to pick up a Yani) but I can't swing that much right now in the financial dept...

Thoughts? Reviews? Would this be a decent horn that I could use for a year with somewhat pleasant results??

Thanks lads/lassies!

john

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Do you know which model it is? I had a 520 that I sold a while ago for around that money, its was a great little horn, a modern selmer knock off that played in tune and was reliable, with a nice enough modern (fairly bright) tone. It seems to me it would do the job you need, and you could likely sell it on for close to what you paid for it in a few years.

All this presupposes that its in decent shape and plays from top to bottom when you get it, if you have to sink a few hundred into it to get it to work right then its not worth it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
A mature student of mine has an Antigua tenor and I must say it's pretty good--Selmer copy and all that but, well made with good action and intonation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
$400.00 seems to be a very fair price for a used ,in working order, Antigua alto!
I'm an Antigua dealer and have 100's out on rentals....no problem with these saxes!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts