Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Looks like the same mouthpiece that usually came with new horns like King, Buescher, Pan Am, etc. The come with numerous different Brands, names printed on them. They are pretty much similar or identical to Brilharts on the inside other than maybe being finished differently. I don't think they have much money value but could potentially be great players for the right person.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I take it from that website that these can be quite good players, esp if opened up a bit? This one is a #2 which is probably even more closed than the .063" they quote.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I've got a Kleartone alto mouthpiece that looks exactly like yours and a tenor mouthpiece that looks the same but has no markings on it. IMO, neither was anything special. The tenor piece came as original equipment with a "Rocket" Buescher stencil. The alto piece came with a student horn, I can't remember which model.

Years ago, the tenor piece was modified by opening it to .095" with a rollover baffle. It plays surprisingly well now, but I've got several others in that vein that I'd rather play.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Comparing this mp to a Vito II (LeBlanc) the inside is identical and the outside is very close (more like the Dukoff shank in the article).

I'm guessing this is a typical OEM/student mp that can be improved just like any other mp.

I may open this up to match a Selmer S80 C* facing. The white vintage look is pretty cool on the 1923 nickel finish sax!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,511 Posts
If its the same as the old white Buescher alto pieces they can be nice. I have opened a couple of those to a Meyer 5 or 6. They sounded and played nice.

I think I have one wandering around the shop also.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have one in clear acrylic for alto. Same Brilhart walls and chamber. It's marked Powertone and it is really a great mouthpiece. Easy to blow, loud and has a great core with some grit and sizzle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just finished. Ends up I had two other mouthpieces with the same inside and outside dimensions, one in plastic and one in hard rubber. I just did all three to S80 facing. One, hard rubber from a 60's Buffet horn, I had to open up the window as well. All three really sing now, very pleased.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My clear Powertone has a pretty large roll-over baffle like a Brilhart and it wails. Super comfortable to blow also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts