Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is a continuation of my previous thread (which mark 6?) I thought I'll just make another thread so more people can see and appraise this specimen.

Serial number is m197563, 1972 selmer mark 6 paris.

The pictures are attached. Asking price $2150 + $100 shiping looks great, original lacquered, original neck, much better pictures than previous pictures provided. Beautiful engraving.

I have placed deposit on this sax and awaiting for opinion from you guys as this will be my first time with selmer mark 6 (only play yamaha and yanis at the moment)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Looks nice. Too nice maybe??? Not lacquered. Could be re-plated silver. Hard to tell with out seeing all the engraving. Others here know better than I.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Basket case Mark VI's sell for more than that. I would proceed with caution.

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
I cant see the pictures but I wouldnt hold back if it sounds good. Relaq or not its cheap so long as everything else checks out. Keep in mind...and I assume you know, late model VI's go for much less than the really coveted ones. Still anything near 2 grand for a VI is dirt cheap!

Still...make sure that the seller is reputable. Loosing 2 grand is almost as bad as loosing 3....and much worse than spending 4.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Does it have a neck?

The price does seem cheap. I would be very cautious checking the bona fides of the seller.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
The key touches look a bit odd. I'd certainly not want to do this deal sight unseen/unplayed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I apparently dont have sufficient priveldges to see the picture?

Anyway, 2,000 sounds way to low for a Mark VI. Is it possible to return it after you get it? In case there are some faults with the instrument.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant even click on the pictures, some thing is wrong, help please...

Yes it has a neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Pictures worked for me. It appears Silver (you listed it as original lacquer) - maybe it's just the photos. Key Touches don't look a bit odd. Is it a dealer, private sale - cash and cary. If it's a real live person transaction - give the horn a play. If you like how it plays - then $2000 is an excellent price. I don't think you'll loose money on a VI alto at this price - but I've been wrong before.:(

·
Registered
383 Posts
mark VI

sod9728 said:
I apparently dont have sufficient priveldges to see the picture?

Anyway, 2,000 sounds way to low for a Mark VI. Is it possible to return it after you get it? In case there are some faults with the instrument.
I agree that 2,000 seems low for a mark VI. Also I too do not have sufficient privelges

-Birdman

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Yes its bloody annoying when only a few can see them and the rest cant. How the hell do you get priviledged?
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
Itoo am insufficiently priveledged.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Dave dix said:
Yes its bloody annoying when only a few can see them and the rest cant. How the hell do you get priviledged?
Dave
I'll grant privilege to all SOTWers since they work for me.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Two things that I notice:

1. Looks more like the blue cast of nickel, rather than silver.
2. Engraving edges look pretty blurred.

I would suspect that it was once a lacquer horn, then buffed prior to being nickel plated. That said, it looks clean and, depending upon how it plays, could very well be worth the asking price.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics, saintsday. I am one of those who doesn't "have permission" to view the links you originally posted.

Mjs10, the bottom line is how it plays! That's a very good price if the horn plays well. If it doesn't play well, then it's not a good deal. Is there a trial period?

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave dix said:
Clean horn but why are the pearls browny in colour?
Dave
DId ask, he said because its old. This sax is in a high humidity country. It makes sense. I have a conn 10 m lady face also came from Indonesia and the pearl looks similar.

Here are other pictures

1 - 20 of 21 Posts