Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I'm not keen on Stoli and ice water either but I think it would be tough to spot. Same with Jack and coke. But these days I usually don't drink on stage anyway. I can wait for the break.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,760 Posts
Stoli and icewater? Ick..
+1. Kettle One martini; now we're talkin'.

But even though I sometimes have a beer sitting down by the monitor left over from the break, I don't really need to drink while on stage. I might take one or two sips, but usually have my drink in between sets.

·
Super Moderator
26,291 Posts
These guys had an onstage bar. They threw more beer into the audience than they drank though. They sold LOTS of beer this way.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,217 Posts
These guys had an onstage bar. They threw more beer into the audience than they drank though. They sold LOTS of beer this way.
Hey! The guitar player in the Dr. Bop and the Headliners band, Bob Kennison, was also the guitar player in the first band I was in, the Novells. We started playing rock 'n' roll together.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Kinda depends on the venue for me. On legit things I use breaks to swab out the horn or wonder whether my reeds will hold out. On a musical, I'm waiting in line for the one bathroom stall backstage. If it's our band playing at a club, I'm out visiting with people in the audience. On a casual, I try to remain invisible. On my every-other-week big band gig in a local restaurant, I head for the bar so I'll forget how annoyed I am with some of the brass players.

Afterward, I pack up, offer to help with teardown, and thank the bandleader for the gig. If it's our band, I have a drink FIRST, and then start loading out.

Oh, and if I'm playing baritone and there's even the slightest chance someone might get near my horn (kids in the vicinity is always a bad sign), it goes back in its case. Maybe alto and tenor, too, but they don't seem to have the same attraction for little people and idiots that the big pipe does.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
the time before and after the sets are as important as the playing itself.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.