Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,869 Posts
Both this and protecting your instruments are on my list too. I sort of view it as part of the job however to interact with the audience. They always have both questions and nice things to say (even on bad nights) and it's a great way to turn a customer who enjoys the music into a dedicated fan. A band without a following has a hard time making it to whatever the next level might be. .
In spite of my flip answer ('head for the bar'), I totally agree with this. On most of our gigs there are some friends, other musicians, and, most important of all, new potential fans present in the audience. I try to chat them all up, hand out a business card, etc. Luckily all of this can be accomplished while ordering a beer (and often ends up getting that beer paid for :) ). I'm lucky because my band mates are really good at interacting with the audience, both on and off stage.

Hey Fader, I assumed your question was what to do during a break. At the end of a gig, yeah, the very first thing I do is pack up my horn. I don't feel comfortable until it's safely packed away in its case.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,869 Posts
Stoli and icewater? Ick..
+1. Kettle One martini; now we're talkin'.

But even though I sometimes have a beer sitting down by the monitor left over from the break, I don't really need to drink while on stage. I might take one or two sips, but usually have my drink in between sets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts