Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
My yamaha neck(alto) has the new yamaha sign which is gold but it has no indication of what model it is. Can someone help identify this neck?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also is the yas-62II only a northamerican saxophone? When I visit japans yamaha website, it only lists the 62, and not the 62II.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats very odd, I just saw some pictures, the neck looks exactly the same except where it says g1 on the neck in the picture, that crest is completely empty on mine?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Sounds like your 62 is an older one that was supplied with an original 62 neck, not a G1 as is currently standard. I can tell you for a fact, that the original 62 neck (non-G1 is one of the best necks they have ever made intonation wise). How do you like the horn?

Steve P

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Nope. M1's only shipped with Customs. Until the release of the 62II which comes with a G1, all 62 Altos and Tenors came with a 62 neck.

Steve P

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Ill take a picture when I get home but Im in hamamatsu japan studying with sugawa! Oh boy...
As for first impressions of the horn before I sent it off to get a tune up, I found the intonation was good but compared to the gold plate serie III neck i put on it, the upper palm key notes seemed choked in comparison.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You lucky man! I almost went to Hamamatsu as well. My professor is there along with Fourmeau and Sugawa. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Demolisher_2000 said:
As for first impressions of the horn before I sent it off to get a tune up, I found the intonation was good but compared to the gold plate serie III neck i put on it, the upper palm key notes seemed choked in comparison.
You're trying to use the 62 neck on your Selmer? Hmmm... If it's a G1 neck it could work but I have a bad feeling about using an original 62 neck on a Selmer.

The Custom 875/855 horns are essentially a copy of the Selmer design so the G1 necks which were designed for the 875/855 would work with a Selmer. The 62 is a different horn altogether, an original Yamaha design, which is the reason why I believe the G1 neck doesn't work so well with it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ah, saxy, I think there is a misunderstanding here. I was talking about using the 62 neck on the 62, and my selmer serie III gold plate neck on the 62 as well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
from what i know,
the original 62 saxes have the 62 necks, not g1, which is now only supplied with the 475's.
also, i think that in north america they may call the new 62's mark ii's,
but everywhere else it is just called the 62
i'm no expert, but this is what i believe from what i have seen.
hope this helped. :]

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Demolisher_2000 said:
Ah, saxy, I think there is a misunderstanding here. I was talking about using the 62 neck on the 62, and my selmer serie III gold plate neck on the 62 as well!
Heh, that's cool but similarly I would be extremely wary of using a Selmer neck on a 62. Like I said, it's the Custom 855/875 horns, not the 62 horns, that are based on the Selmer design. Keep the Selmer neck on your Selmer (or a Yamaha 855/875), and leave the 62 neck on the 62. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Yamaha bills the 82Z as having the bore design and scale of the 62 with the keywork of the Custom 875, and they supply these with the G1 neck. Given that the G1 now is billed as working with both the Z (i.e. 62 bore) and the 875, one would imagine that it is likely applicable to Selmer and Yanis as well. My tenor G1 works just fine on my Yani T992, although it makes it respond like the Yamaha...Haven't tried the Yani bronze neck on the Z because it is just a tad tight...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im reviving this thread with pictures, very interesting...
Here is a general overview:

See the gold emblem and no markings of what type of G neck it is.

Side by side comparison with a Custom G1 neck(bottom), the G1 neck is longer by around 3cm.

Playing this neck is interesting to say the least. It really doesnt let you play louder than a modest mf, and plays spot on intonation until the palm keys(only 10 cents sharp even then). Thing is you either add vibrato or push and it instantly goes flat. I had trouble with this when I tried switching back to it and didnt know it was funky, had to play 2 competitions on it on which the important one, I inevitably lost.

Also, the dealer I bought this from, MathewsMusic isnt taking responsibility for replacing the neck with a proper G1. They tend not to answer their emails and it takes several weeks to get one discussion moving. I highly do not recommend them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts