Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is related to my previous thread, the guy who sold me the soprano told me that it may need minor adjustment after it arrives in Australia due to long trip. But i can see it packed very well (lots of those white beanies, bubble wraps,etc) the box is about 3 times bigger than the case itself.

What adjustment we can do? I am completely blind about this, when people say, it needs adjustment, what are they talking about? What adjustment we can do?

I am asking this because the horn appears to be "leaking" as I cant play lower register (from F-C) the sound goes up 1 octave without me pressing octave key and low C gurgles alot. Maybe I can adjust it bymyself. Please help.

Thanks heaps

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
People have stuffed up perfectly reasonable instruments by messing with things they did not understand.

Other people have taken badly damaged instruments and learned a great deal about maintenance and repair - to the point of being able to make a living from the business.

Which kind are you? - there is no-one else who can answer that question.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Adjustment consists of appreciating the function of each part, analysing whether it is properly carrying out its function, and if it isn't, finding a effective and reliable-into-the-future way to make it do so, without stuffing up something else. Most fundamentally, it means using this approach to get rid of all leaks. This can be a very complicated process, because on a sax, most things you alter, affect at lest one other thing.

Now re-read Doug's pithy but oh-so-true post.

re "This is related to my previous thread, the guy who sold me the soprano told me that it may need minor adjustment after it arrives in Australia due to long trip."

Personally I think far too much is blamed on the effects of transport. If it arrives in a poorly adjusted state, that is almost always because it was poorly adjusted prior to the journey.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed to both of the post, i have a tech work on it already, he told me he needs about 3 weeks to fix it.

I asked the seller if the horn is playable, he said it is but it may need adjustment after a long trip.

It will cost me aroud $300 bux to fix it, I dont know what else to do.

·
Registered
629 Posts
mjs10 said:
Agreed to both of the post, i have a tech work on it already, he told me he needs about 3 weeks to fix it.

I asked the seller if the horn is playable, he said it is but it may need adjustment after a long trip.

It will cost me aroud $300 bux to fix it, I dont know what else to do.
$300 is a lot for a few tweaks, generally it takes 20% effort to improve by 80%, and the final 20% improvement takes 80% of the effort. You should be able to get someone to make it play for $80-100, but to play well and remain reliable may cost more.

Whereabouts in Australia are you?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Paulio, check the other thread. As far as I can judge, we're not talking about "some adjustment". We're more talking about a leaky horn that had a bad repad job done on it before, so it takes a bit more effort than just "a few tweaks"...

·
17,204 Posts
Correct. It could even be the whole of a repad/overhaul job, apart from putting the pads in, and the adjustment may well take a whole lot longer than it would if a decent tech put the pads in.

When padding is done badly, as it seems to be in this case, there can be all manner of problems behind the pads, contributing to unreliability.

I find that this sort of thing is typical for imported second hand instruments, and it has nothing to do with the transporting. Instrument in poor state? Sell it to some sucker overseas, where the backlash is minimised.

Import a new Yanagisawa and it is not likely to have these problems of the sort that people blame on freight. That's coz they were adjusted well in the first place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Correction : padding is supposed to be allright (Fballatore gave input on that one). So then it seems a rather high price indeed.

I did notice however that my old soprano needs serious adjustment after a year of playing. Don't know if that just comes with age and the fact sopranos are extremely sensitive to tweaks in the regulation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Gordon (NZ) said:
Import a new Yanagisawa and it is not likely to have these problems of the sort that people blame on freight. That's coz they were adjusted well in the first place.
I have shipped a number of horns overseas, including at least one bari that I recall, and can't actually remember any that didn't play well on arrival.

I generally use an improved version of the Cybersax method of packing...works great.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys...

Ok, I bought a yts 875 also from US few months ago and arrive beautiful no adjustment needed. I simply play it out of the box.

Just called the guy who is "operating" my horn, he said it definately needs a total overhaul job, the pads maybe usable he cant tell tho.

Look it doesnt matter anymore, maybe it has experience some rough raid during the journey.

Frank if you read this, did you test the horn (play it) before you sent it to me?

Dont get me wrong, I am not blaming you or saying you're shifty, I have 100% confident in you looking at how you packed the horn with those lots of wraps.

·
17,204 Posts
Perhaps he is just short of work. Perhaps what he says is true.

Without more professional opinions by techs with the horn in front of them, we can onbly surmise in a forum as to where the truth lies.

So the discussion is rather meaningless, and could be unfairly hurtful.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gordon (NZ) said:
Perhaps he is just short of work. Perhaps what he says is true.

Without more professional opinions by techs with the horn in front of them, we can onbly surmise in a forum as to where the truth lies.

So the discussion is rather meaningless, and could be unfairly hurtful.
Agreed, I'll just wait till its finished.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts