Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Many of the cases made for Low A baris will fit both Low Bb and Low A. I went looking for a case specifically designed only for Low Bb bari a few years ago and eventually gave up. There are a few gig bags that you can get that come made just for Low Bb but not any hard sided cases, at least ones you'd actually want. I think I found one Chinese made heavy wood case that was only slightly smaller and appeared no lighter in weight than what I already have. Unless you happen to run across a 40+ year old fitted or flight case from when they were still making a fair number of Low Bb baris , custom is the only real option I've found. Since I'm not a pro and don't travel distances with my bari, and only play 2-3 gigs a month plus a few rehearsals I can't justify the cost of a custom case, like a Manning.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone has a decent used case or gig bag of some sort available for sale low Bb bari please let me know. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,651 Posts
I use a ProTec for my low Bb Buescher 400.

·
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$978.00 for a BAM
$201.00 for a Protec

Does the BAM case give me a happy ending or what am I missing something here?

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
$978.00 for a BAM
$201.00 for a Protec

From above post, it sounds like the BAM cannot fit saxes with bell keys anywhere except on the outside? Plus old American saxes often have the wire guards which can stick up higher than the modern sheet metal ones.

I had some difficulty finding a case that would fit a Conn alto; I'm sure baritone is much harder.

If you have a low Bb horn with modern sheet metal keyguards on the outside, maybe a music store could order one of the cases used by P. Mauriat or Amati both of whom make low Bb instruments.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
$978.00 for a BAM
$201.00 for a Protec

The BAM is a higher quality case but whether it's worth that much extra $$$ really is going to depend on how it fits your horn and what you need the case to do. For a lot of heavy travel the BAM may be the better choice. If you're just looking to get your horn from the house to the car and the car to the gig and back again the Protec will be fine. You'll likely need to "pad up" the Protec with some towels or extra foam rubber to get the fit snug. The biggest problem with all the aftermarket bari cases is that they are made so they will fit almost every horn out there and as a result fit nothing well.

A couple of things you might want to consider is whether or not you are okay with zippers and do you want wheels. I don't mind zippers but they do require a little more patience than latches and some folks simply find them to be too much of a hassle. Likewise, I haven't found the wheels they put on most bari sax case to be of much use. They are too small to roll well on anything but smooth surfaces but, again, some folks find them handy.

From above post, it sounds like the BAM cannot fit saxes with bell keys anywhere except on the outside? Plus old American saxes often have the wire guards which can stick up higher than the modern sheet metal ones.

I had some difficulty finding a case that would fit a Conn alto; I'm sure baritone is much harder.

If you have a low Bb horn with modern sheet metal keyguards on the outside, maybe a music store could order one of the cases used by P. Mauriat or Amati both of whom make low Bb instruments.
The case that Mauriat uses is a large heavy rectangular plastic case. It can be seen in this demo video done by James Carter;

I have one of these that my Low Bb Barone bari came in (I'm about 95% sure that the Barone came from the same factory as the Mauriats). It's the same case they use for the Low A horns with the internal shape modified just a little. This is a well made case with wheels on one end but it is also fitted on the inside for the shape of the Mauriat (or Barone) horn so a vintage Bb bari may not fit in it well.

·
Registered
333 Posts

The problem is due to the larger bells of vintage American saxes compared to those in the Mk. VI style.

My Super 20 fits in no way inside the preshaped low-Bb-compartment of the BAM. For opposing bellkeys or keyguards would be enough space, but not for the horn itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been quite satisfied with my Protec. Unlike yourself, my main horn is a low a Mark VI, but I have the backpack straps on it and it goes with me every day. I slipped and fell down some wet stairs the other day while the horn was on my back and it pounded the stairs pretty hard. I immediately took it out and there was no external damage and it played up and down just as it would have if it didn't smack the ground. A friend of mine bought one for his Martin Committee III baritone and it fits just fine. In terms of a good every day, hustling around town case, I would go with the Protec every time.

·
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same sort of thing happened to me with my tenor. Slipped and fell, HARD on concrete. Case went FLYING with my tenor sax inside, and I hit the pavement hard. The sax was totally fine. I'm a big Protec fan.

I have been quite satisfied with my Protec. Unlike yourself, my main horn is a low a Mark VI, but I have the backpack straps on it and it goes with me every day. I slipped and fell down some wet stairs the other day while the horn was on my back and it pounded the stairs pretty hard. I immediately took it out and there was no external damage and it played up and down just as it would have if it didn't smack the ground. A friend of mine bought one for his Martin Committee III baritone and it fits just fine. In terms of a good every day, hustling around town case, I would go with the Protec every time.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I have several Protec cases that have served me well though the alto and tenor versions fit my horns more snugly than the bari version. I ended up with two Protec bari cases as result of a mix up. I received the latest version a few years back from my girlfriend as a birthday gift to use with my Yani B992 as the stock case was getting a little beat up. I then ran across an ebay listing for a much older Protec bari case in very good condition that the seller insisted was for just Low Bb baris. When the case was delivered I realized he was mostly wrong. My Low A horn fits fine in it but a Low A with a very large bell like a Keilwerth or Martin Magna probably wouldn't. It would have cost almost as much to send back as I paid for it so I kept it. I then bought a Kessler custom MTS case from a SOTW member that's specifically designed to fit a Yani (really their Solist bari which is a B901 copy) so it fits very very well. They did a nice job designing this case but it's very heavy. Honestly I don't have problem, at least I don't think I do, but at this point I own 2 baris and 5 bari sax cases between them. I didn't set out to turn my basement into "The Bari Case Warehouse" it just kind of happened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently purchased a Holton Baritone 271 that came without a case. The horn is being restored, and I'm looking for a case that will fit it. My teacher loaned me the case for his low A baritone, and it is too short plus the larger Holton bell is an issue. Will a Pro-tec case work? I live in the boonies, so will need to order sight unseen.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
The BAM is a great case for modern baris but expensive yes. Another option..the Reunion Blues company made a low Bb leather bari case that is very well padded and a beautiful case. I don't know what the Chinese version is like but the USA made one is superb quality and should fit various bells. My VI fits well...I'm pretty sure it would accommodate a USA vintage horn too.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.