Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently bought a halari f. sudre bari sax and it doesnt come with a case. the thing with this instrument is that the instrument is all one piece. the neck is part of the instrument so i dont know what case it will fit with.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Sounds like you've purchased a unicorn figuratively and literally. I don't believe anybody makes an aftermarket case to fit a bari with a neck that's not removable, at least I've never seen one. Did you purchase this horn with the intent to play it or turn it into a lamp? The listings I see online would seem to indicate that these are of very limited utility as legitimate instruments. ???

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've bought a couple of canvas reunion blues type low Bb bari bags over the years. Even though they offer little protection, they may fit your horn.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you've purchased a unicorn figuratively and literally. I don't believe anybody makes an aftermarket case to fit a bari with a neck that's not removable, at least I've never seen one. Did you purchase this horn with the intent to play it or turn it into a lamp? The listings I see online would seem to indicate that these are of very limited utility as legitimate instruments. ???
i do plan on fixing it. there is something about turning instruments into a lamp that just disgusts me. i brought my metal clarinet into the shop and they said that they couldnt fix it because they dont have they parts anymore and they suggested that i turn it into a lamp. but na im not

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've bought a couple of canvas reunion blues type low Bb bari bags over the years. Even though they offer little protection, they may fit your horn.
its not really the the fact that it plays down to low Bb that im worried about. its the nonremovable neck that is the problem

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
its not really the the fact that it plays down to low Bb that im worried about. its the nonremovable neck that is the problem
I think what he's suggesting is that a gig bag may be a bit more flexible than a hard-sided case so you might be able to wrangle a horn with a fixed neck into it even though it's not specifically designed for that. It's not a bad idea. Most of those bags close with zippers and you may be able to close them in such a way that just the tip of the neck sticks out if it doesn't completely fit. It's likely your other options are to buy a custom case or heavily customize one yourself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think what he's suggesting is that a gig bag may be a bit more flexible than a hard-sided case so you might be able to wrangle a horn with a fixed neck into it even though it's not specifically designed for that. It's not a bad idea. Most of those bags close with zippers and you may be able to close them in such a way that just the tip of the neck sticks out if it doesn't completely fit. It's likely your other options are to buy a custom case or heavily customize one yourself.
ahh i see. might try getting the gig bag first then. see how that goes. what brand would work best in this case? i know that most protecs have zippers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
ahh i see. might try getting the gig bag first then. see how that goes. what brand would work best in this case? i know that most protecs have zippers.
How about posting pictures in repair/tech section on how to fix the neck? May be less than buying two cases and lowers the chance damaging what you have. Just a thought.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about posting pictures in repair/tech section on how to fix the neck? May be less than buying two cases and lowers the chance damaging what you have. Just a thought.
youre thonking about it wrong i think. the neck isnt stuck, it is built into the instrument. the neck and the body is all one piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 13 of 13 Posts