1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pads, felts and corks - Good
Original lacquer - considering its age 6 to 7 out of 10
Tone and response - Beyond superb
Case - Soft, black gig case w/a pocket on each side and a shoulder strap.
This horn was discovered, bought and played by a near-the-top pro jazz player. I traded him even for my balanced action, which in turn was one of the best. He loved the big Coleman Hawkins sound. I loved the Mark VI's cutting brilliance, easy response, and resonance.
Reason for considering sale - Despite that I play and love a MK VI Selmer (68xxx) alto, I have an itch to add a new Selmer Alto, maybe one of those Mark VI reproductions. I've never had a new horn. My horn is scuffed beyond belief. It was played by a big band player for years. I want to see that shiny new lacquer!

Allthatjazz
Oh. BTW, the tenor is here in NYC/north Jersey and has to be picked up. I won't ship it on my responsibility.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Check the websites of the tenor dealers - some that come to mind are Tenormadness and PMWoodwinds. You can ask as much as you like, what you get may be a different matter. ;) If your target is a quick sale to cover the price of the new alto, take that into consideration as well. You might get a higher asking price if you wait long enough.

You will lose a lot of potential buyers if you limit sales to pick up only.

Put up some pictures if you want any more detailed advice - or offers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, George. I'm a bit nonplussed at the lack of other responses.
But hey, that's the world we live in, eh?

ATJ

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Don't take it personally, ATJ, it's just that we get a lot of such queries from first time posters that come to sell a horn and then leave.

Try the For Sale section with a few pretty pictures and a killin' price - say, 6K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,039 Posts
Contact Randy at Tenormadness and talk to him about what you are wanting to do. He may be able to get you an attractive deal on a properly setup new Selmer.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
Allthatjazz, you can probably get a pretty good price for it, but so much depends on finding the right buyer, etc. But before you do anything get rid of that SOFT gig case!!!

I can't help but ask WHY, though.......you want to sell a 5-digit MKVI tenor so you can get another alto??! Especially a new model alto, when you already have a MKVI alto? But then I'm a die hard tenor player.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JL said:
Allthatjazz, you can probably get a pretty good price for it, but so much depends on finding the right buyer, etc. But before you do anything get rid of that SOFT gig case!!!

I can't help but ask WHY, though.......you want to sell a 5-digit MKVI tenor so you can get another alto??! Especially a new model alto, when you already have a MKVI alto? But then I'm a die hard tenor player.
Well, I guess I'm a die-hard alto player! I haven't played the tenor in years. Although I did pull it out of its case the other day just to look at it. Pads still look moist and new, they all pop nicely on fingering it and I wanted to wet up a reed and blow it. But I resisted the urge and picked up my alto instead.
One poster asked my why I want a new alto when I've got a Mark VI. He's right. My own alto is so good that my old teacher used to wonder why he didn't buy it himself, and whenever we got together Lee Konitz refused to play it - why? "Because then I'd have to go out and find one as good." (!)
I never played his either. One day I went over to his west 86th St place to play and he had a huge tray full of mouthpieces on the piano. He told me he was testing them for the Paris manufacturer and was trying to find the best one.
I told him, "There lies madness." and we roared with laughter.
Great fun. Great days.
ATJ

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
This is a highly desirable vintage of VI tenors. Mid 80,xxx serial numbers typically bring big money. I have seen a few prime examples go for well in excess of 10k. In a private sale, and in less than pristine condition, probably considerably less.

How close to NYC are you?

Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
qwerty said:
This is a highly desirable vintage of VI tenors. Mid 80,xxx serial numbers typically bring big money. I have seen a few prime examples go for well in excess of 10k. In a private sale, and in less than pristine condition, probably considerably less.

How close to NYC are you?

Steve
Across the Hudson, as well as in Yorkville, if you know where that is (upper east side).

(Tom) allthatjazz

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
Allthatjazz said:
Well, I guess I'm a die-hard alto player! I haven't played the tenor in years. Although I did pull it out of its case the other day just to look at it. Pads still look moist and new, they all pop nicely on fingering it and I wanted to wet up a reed and blow it. But I resisted the urge and picked up my alto instead.ATJ
I hear ya. I'm the same way except as a tenor player. Once in awhile I pull out the alto, play a few phrases, then put it down and pick the tenor back up. I like the alto, but the tenor always comes first and I can't seem to get past that, and the fact I have 3 tenors (and play 'em all), but only 1 mostly neglected alto says it all. Maybe some of us are die-hard one horn players. Others go for the full spectrum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts