Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
A lil background first -- I have been playing the clarinet for 6 years. I have a lovely Buffet E13 which i am extremly happy with. :) I am currently playing on the standard mouthpiece shipped with my clarry and i am starting to look into buying a new one, my current teacher is useless in this regard, so here i am asking u all... With all the hundreds of mouthpieces on the market what shd i look into?? Im not phased by price. I dont mind getting a mouthpiece that will be difficult to play, just one that produce a really nice sound.
Also, there is a lot of hyp abt crystal mouthpieces, what difference do they have to ebonite, rubber and metal ?
any help will be extremely appreciated.
Thanx

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have to admit.

I think these forums are better that 8notes (for flute) or woodwind (for clarinet).

If I had a flute or clarinet question, I would probably ask here first too.

Orange String,

You didn't mention what type of sound you are looking for?
What kind of sound do you have now? Do you like your sound?

As far as materials go, what a mouthpiece is made out of has little effect on what it sounds like (with MAYBE the exception of soft wood or cardboard and nobody uses those).
It's the opening and chamber that make the difference.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You can start by looking in the Vandoren line of mouthpieces. Something like a B45 or 5RVLyre is a good place to begin. I say vandoren cause they are not expensive and seem to run uniform for the most part. If you must look for a more selective brand, I suggest Fobes or Pyne.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Carbs said:
I talked to a friend, who plays clarinet and she said 5VR was the best Clarinet Moutphiece. I have a 2VR though.
From the Vandoren Site's FAQ:
Q: What is the difference between a 2RV and 5RV mouthpiece?
A: The 2RV and 5RV are identical. When the item number was changed, it created some confusion, so the older item number was reinstated. Both are available.
Don't buy a mouthpiece just because someone recommended it. Do consider it when you go shopping, but let your snout and ears decide.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
She also seemed really pompus when I told her I was playing on a Selmer Signet, she said Buffet. But I am only doubling not playing just one stinkin horn. Snobs *shakes head*

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Carbs said:
She also seemed really pompus when I told her I was playing on a Selmer Signet, she said Buffet. But I am only doubling not playing just one stinkin horn. Snobs *shakes head*
Ah, the Buffet Mafia...<sigh>

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm using a Rico Royal Graftonite B5 on clarinet because I like it's bright powerful sound.

I'm sure this is NOT what you would want for classical.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,308 Posts
Hi Orange String,
I have a similar clarinet, Buffet Evette Master Model. The mpc's that I have found that work the best for me on this horn have been Vandoren 5RV Lyre, Larry Combs 3, Selmer C85 105, C85 115, and a signed Dave Knox prototype before he went to Jewell. Everything except for maybe the Selmers' can be found for less than $80.

For classical I use the 5RV Lyre or LC3. Pit Orchestra the Knox, and Community Band concerts the Selmers'. All in a M/MO tip with Vandoren V12 3.5's or customized 4's. I do have an old O'Brian crystal that I use only for the most special performances. They're hard to find, and I don't want it to get broken.

If you can, try as many different mouthpieces as you can. The ones suggested by us may not be what you have in mind as far as sound and reed friendlieness. Good luck in your quest.

·
19,308 Posts
Carbs,

Congrats on the new licorice stick!!!!

You should never be ashamed to play a Selmer Signet. If you got the wood version it's a great little intermediate clarinet. It'll take you a long way.

My first[ horn was a plastic Bundy. My first B] wood[/B] clarinet was the Master Model. My current clarinet is an awesome sounding Selmer Signature. Selmer to Buffet then back to Selmer? Hmmmmmm,,,

I wish you only the best in your new adventure.:D

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Thanks Bandmommy,
I am not ashamed of my horn, instead I am very proud of it. It is in transet as we speak. Lets see it will get here on the 6th of September. And I can't wait to get started. Watch on the 12th, I will be mad at the horn, because I can't figure it out ;).
I think that I did a good job, and that this is my last Clarinet for awhile. Unless I need an A Clarinet or I get enough playing that I need a Pro. model. Just am not ready to drop that kind of money on a doubling or in this case triping instrument.

~Carbs

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Orange String said:
Hi all
A lil background first -- I have been playing the clarinet for 6 years. I have a lovely Buffet E13 which i am extremly happy with. :) I am currently playing on the standard mouthpiece shipped with my clarry and i am starting to look into buying a new one, my current teacher is useless in this regard, so here i am asking u all... With all the hundreds of mouthpieces on the market what shd i look into?? Im not phased by price. I dont mind getting a mouthpiece that will be difficult to play, just one that produce a really nice sound.
Also, there is a lot of hyp abt crystal mouthpieces, what difference do they have to ebonite, rubber and metal ?
any help will be extremely appreciated.
Thanx
Try a Vandoren. Very consistent and reasonably priced. Try a 5RV Lyre, B45, B45Dot, M30. You should like one of these.
I have been searching for a crystal mpc. for years. They sound great but I think they play with too much resistance and not much consistency. You could try the Mitchel Lorie{spelling?} But you have to try several. Every one is very different.
Best bets are the Vandoren.
Martin

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,957 Posts
Vandorens are a good place to start. If you're willing to drop some cash (around $200 - not that much compared to a lot of sax mouthpieces), you should definitely check out Walter Grabner and Clark Fobes' mouthpieces. They are hand made, beautiful and flawless. You've definitely played long enough that you'll be able to put these mouthpieces to good use. I would say that after playing so long on a stock mouthpiece, you owe it to yourself to try some mouthpieces of this caliber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
...or a Greg Smith. I'm happy with Morgan clarinet pieces, but serious clarinetists seem to dismiss them.

·
19,308 Posts
Too many 'Brand Snobs' out there saying that to be a serious clarinetist you must play only this brand/model clarinet, with this name mouthpiece, with this strength/name/style reed. Bull-ony! A truly serious clarinetis uses whatever feels and sounds the best for their instrument and particular style of music.

The mouthpiece that sounds the best on my Buffet, doesn't work worth a crap on my Signature.

I will admit that sometimes it's hard not to give in to the'Brand Hype"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Walter Grabner just recently starting making a student mouthpiece (click on NEW Student Mouthpiece). I have yet to try a Grabner mouthpiece that I didn't like. My mouthpiece of choice is the Grabner K14.

http://www.clarinetxpress.com/mouthpieces.html

There are many fine mouthpieces on the market. It's a matter of trying a selection and finding one that you really like. Besides Grabner; Fobes, Greg Smith, and Richard Hawkings mouthpieces are top-notch.

I agree with bandmommy's comment about brand snobs. How true! That said, I've found some mouthpieces to be truly exceptional. For example, when I first tried a Grabner Kaspar-style mouthpiece it's sound and performance qualities were like a revelation.

It ALWAYS comes down to what works best for an individual player.

Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
The simple way to find the next mpc for you is to go into a shop and play test a whole bunch of them. You will know which one is the one for you when you play it. Vandorens, Selmers, LeBlancs, Grabners, Zinners etc...all play well but it depends on your physical size, stature and facial structure as to which one plays best for you!

I like the M30, the Selmer 85/120 and my favourite of all is the Larry Coombs LC#3.....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts