Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i'm thinking of buying a new bari sax and I want to ask you what would you advise me to choose:

E.M. Winston WBS155 Baritone Sax

RS Berkeley Artist Series BS-509 Baritone Sax

Allora Vienna Series AABS-501 Baritone Sax

Solist SBS201 Baritone Sax (From Kessler & Sons Music)

Orpheo Signature Baritone Sax

Thanks
Carlos

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I would suggest you also consider an Orpheo Signature bari. Very nice bari for the price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts
Before this gets into everyone replying with suggestions for horns NOT on your list...which is OK, just a typical occurrence here on the Forum....

How did you come up with your list, Kreacher ?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,597 Posts
Of the ones listed I would be tempted to go with the Kessler horn.
But this is only based on what I've read here on SOTW.

There are other options in your price range, but you didn't ask for those. :)

·
4,370 Posts
If budget is a primary concern it would be hard to beat the Solist at $2,295. Especially with Kessler selling/backing them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well for response on the questions asked here, I come up with the list by searching bari's for price because I can't go up than 2900 3000 dollars, and this were the sax's that I found and that by searching I saw that there were enough people saying good things about them in reviews, and the bad things said were not that bad, minus some that were really bad.

Badmommy, as for your reply, then I say, within my list and within other bari in the price range (up to 3000) what would you advise me? I ignored the others because I'm thinking of buying soon and I don't now every brand that's out there.

For the Orpheu Signature bari, personally I didn't view many reviews and critics in favor, at least in proportion.

Please shoot away you thinkings

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad that error :)

I was just looking up for the Orpheo Signature Bari, and there's a store that's selling them too way cheap. Anyone knows or as already bought somethin from them? http://instrumentfast.com/

I will also try to view more reviews and comments on the Orpheo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts
OK, so thus far your list was only determined by affordable price for a new horn. Which is probably why you asked your question.

Carlos, where are you located ?

While you await further replies....do a search here for all of those makers....there are bound to be threads on feedback of the various makers (maybe not Baritones in particular). See if any of them consistently get good reviews.....or bad reviews....

·
4,370 Posts
My bad that error :)

I was just looking up for the Orpheo Signature Bari, and there's a store that's selling them too way cheap. Anyone knows or as already bought somethin from them? http://instrumentfast.com/

I will also try to view more reviews and comments on the Orpheo
That is a good price. I didn't buy my OS bari from them, so can't vouch for them. I'm very happy with my bari though. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a used EM Winston Bari a couple months ago. I'm pretty happy with it after having $75 worth of adjustments made on it by a local tech. Good luck with whichever you decide!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,597 Posts
If you're not against a vintage bari there are a few that will fall into that price range.
It may take a bit of searching to find one that has what you want and doesn't need a LOT of work.
Keep plugging at it and the right horn will eventually pop up.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i'm not against a vintage bari, but for me the problem with vintage horns is that after I buy it, I need to repair it (most of the cases anyway) and it's also a risk buying it without trying it, and the new ones, more or less I can rely on the reviews, because every one of them will have the same characteristics.

JayeSF, I'm from Portugal and thus the problem with buying vintage horns from USA.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About the Solist: Price is a Big Plus, and more because it's from Kessler & Sons, but my concerns about it is that it may be a little low quality, thus the price.

I'm currently playing a J.Michael BAR-2500 that is from my band, and I considered buying one (2700 dollars), but it has some major keywork problems, mostly on the low C#, Bb, and intonation problems aswell, so I wouldn't want to buy one :)

First post updated

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Kreacher, did you end up getting the Winston?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, I haven't decided yet, but I'm now considering buying a Jupiter here in Portugal. Between buying there in America or buying here in Portugal, I'd prefer buying here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds good. Good luck with your search! Post some pics once you do get something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.