Misty
Blame it on my Youth
More Than You Know

Reactions: olds1959special

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d really like to try working on For Heaven’s Sake! I’ve been listening to different versions of it by Billie Holiday, Chet Baker, Nancy Wilson, etc. Some other ballads I tried recently are Darn that Dream and But Beautiful. Ballads can be so soothing to work on!

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,479 Posts
I’d really like to try working on For Heaven’s Sake! I’ve been listening to different versions of it by Billie Holiday, Chet Baker, Nancy Wilson, etc. Some other ballads I tried recently are Darn that Dream and But Beautiful. Ballads can be so soothing to work on!
I've been working on But Beautiful lately too (as well as Body and Soul).

I've also spent the last week transcribing Seamus Blake's Gracia (both the melody and his solo), which isn't a standard, but I think it qualifies as a ballad.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've been loving Blue Mantilla by Henry Mancini- it's Latin and I'm wondering about Latin "ballads"- are they referred to as Boleros, or is that a certain kind of Latin?

Blue Mantilla

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,527 Posts
Ive played Somewhere over the Rainbow 1000s of times as a ballad. I used to do it in a differnt key just to keep the guitarist awake. But I heard Nester Torres do that as a samba and I wanna try that on flute. CHallange. K

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lately I've been spending some time on My One and Only Love. I've always played it in C (The Real book key) but of course in that key you can't play the first note of the melody in the lower octave on tenor. I've caught a few videos of different guys playing it in Eb, and I've been practicing it there. I like it in C (I think that might be Coltrane/Johnny Hartmann's key? Trane always seemd to favor the second octave for ballad melodies anyway) but being able to play the melody starting on that low C gives it a whole other flavor......

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
[On ALTO:] Angel Eyes
You Don't Know What Love Is
Stars Fell on Alabama
Off Shore
Chelsea Bridge
Born to be Blue
There's a House in Harlem for Sale
[On SOPRANO:] Petit Fleur
Si tu vois ma mère
Indian Summer

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,798 Posts
At the tempo i've been practicing Lester Leaps In, You could call that a ballad :p

Dear Lord is also in works for me

·
Registered
164 Posts
Laura by David Raksin, Mulligan has a great "snappy" version and I am also singing along with Sinatra.

Serenade in Blue by Harry Warren and lyrics by Mack Gordon. Plas Johnson, Dexter and Scott Hamilton along with Getz have great versions and again I am also singing along with Sinatra.

No I am not a singer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
220 Posts
For the last few months I have been going on YouTube and searching for sax backing tracks, many ballads come up. Some with written lead sheets, many not (I don’t need). Not really “working on” them, at 80 I’ve learned most of them a long time ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
220 Posts
For the last few months I have been going on YouTube and searching for sax backing tracks, many ballads come up. Some with written lead sheets, many not (I don’t need). Not really “working on” them, at 80 I’ve learned most of them a long time ago.

·
Registered
565 Posts
"Things We Did Last Summer" and "Sophisticated Lady". I guess they are considered ballads, whether they are or aren't, I still like them. I found that the phrasing in parts of the bridge on Sophisticated Lady was difficult to play off the written page, and until I listened to several vocal and instrumental versions of it, then I got it no problem. Now to find a way to improvise on both the songs. Lots of work to be done on these two.

·
Registered
52 Martin Commitee 3 baritone, 38 BA Selmer Tenor, 58 Super dynaction Buffet Alto, 28 Martin soprar
79 Posts
a lot of what has been quoted
and this week in duet with a pianist:
left alone
little girl blue
lush life
Talma (Pierre Boussaguet / guy lafitte)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts