Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of very talented folks on this board. What are you working on right now and what instrument is it on? Are you working on songs, method books, or whatever? Are you working for performances, school, or just as a hobby?

Currently I am just playing as a hobby. Will start playing with bands again at the end of the summer. I just have backing tracks on my ipod that I play my Tenor Sax to. Here is what I am currently working on:
I Heard It Through The Grape Vine
Green Onions
In The Midnight Hour
Let’s Stay Together
Pick Up the Pieces
Respect
Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay
Soul Finger
Soul Man
Superstition
Walkin’ The Dog
Who’s Making Love?
My Girl

What are you working on? I see lots of members posting on here. Just wondering what you are playing right now or if at all.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've spent like 2 months now working on Autumn Leaves! But not really because I haven't had time to...

I want to have a growth spurt so I'm going to want to practice everything for a couple of months.

But if you want an answer I've been working a lot on ear training and intonation more than anything.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Original music. Working on a putting out a CD of jazz-funk inspired by Eddie Harris/John Scofield, Galactic, KDTU, SoulLive, YellowJackets.

B

·
Registered
197 Posts
i play alto and working on 2-5-1's, my fingers struggling to memorize them backwards and forwards,with chords and tetrachords. i'm also working on the klose and oliver nelson books.
as for song of the month, i'm practicing "pent up house" applying the 2-5-1's. and i play a bunch of other standards for fun. i'm just a hobbyist, with a lot of musician friends, and occasionally perform with them if they triple dog dare me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
I'm working (and have been) on Giant Steps. I have a recorded backing track at a MUCH slower tempo to improv over, to get the changes under my fingers and into my head. I'm having a TON of trouble coming up with melodic ideas and resort to spelling out chords =\ If anyone has any ideas, feel free to suggest them here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Concentrated practice has been on building/rebuilding my bari chops. Just means a lot of technical exercises, long tones, overtones, and generally getting consistency and fluidity on the big horn again.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Trying to keep my clarinet chops maintained and working in a new-to-me Drake tenor piece, I'm going from Ernie Watts practice licks, through Buddy de Franco's Hanon exercises, Steve Neffs books, various scale exercises in all keys, + and -, and very occasionally, a few standards.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Working on my sight-reading and time-keeping skills. Been using Dan Fox's excellent book The Rhythm Bible .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
my altissimo, my low notes (B + Bb), need to do some long tones

·
Registered
520 Posts
Scales, scales, scales, scales, and more scales. Like...Playing all my scales, playing them in all modes, then in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths. I've been working on this for awhile now. Not just this month. Scales are my main priority right now, but I still cover tunes, etudes, etc.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am on a 2 week exile from playing. That is how long the dr. told me to recovery from my triple hernia surgery would take. When I get back, it will be easy long tones for a few days on woodwinds and brasses before continuing as usual with my students and my own playing. I fear that trumpet is going to be kind of painful for a while. That and R&B gigs on tenor. We will see.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Scales, scales, scales, scales, and more scales. Like...Playing all my scales, playing them in all modes, then in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths. I've been working on this for awhile now. Not just this month. Scales are my main priority right now, but I still cover tunes, etudes, etc.
Are you getting anywhere? How long have you been working on them? Have you noticed a change in your playing?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
Steve neffs approach note velocity
Book. I'm also spending a lot if time on super locrian. ...and clarinet

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
To Kfoster: Definitely follow your Drs' advice! Don't blow for at least two weeks and then be very gentle. I had the same problem way back. I remember how even blowing on the electric sax I had caused pain.

·
Registered
567 Posts
To Kfoster: Definitely follow your Drs' advice! Don't blow for at least two weeks and then be very gentle. I had the same problem way back. I remember how even blowing on the electric sax I had caused pain.
I agree......still driving me crazy. Don't have any gigs scheduled 'till May 8. That will help. I do have to get back to work next week. I'm an elementary school band teacher who really likes to model for the kids. Looks like that is gonna' be out of the picture for a little while. On the plus side, once I am ready to play, I will have plenty of opportunity to get back into it easily with my 4th and 5th graders. I have about 125 of 'em right now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Greg Fishman's Etudes Vol. 3. Good sounding stuff (not me.....him)!
Agreed. Excellent material. I have just started on the Greg Fishman Saxophone Duets Book. I have only been playing saxophone for two years (took it up on early retirement) I got myself a good teacher (Conservatory of Music) who enjoys teaching me material that is outside the normal conservatory curriculum. He teaches me on tenor. The duets are challenging and great fun to play.

I am supposed to be at about Grade II. The Fishman material which is very good indeed is >Grade V so I can't play many of the pieces at the post-bop written tempos. It takes me a week of solid work to get one into shape working with the CD The phrases teach one "the jazz vocabulary"

Regards to all

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am working on figuring out the Star Trek Voyager theme by ear on Alto Sax. I know I am going to have to work on my altissimo which is really quite new to me and not at all consistant. I will figure it out though. Until recently I haven't had the time nor the energy to really do much with it though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts