Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Selmer MK VI Soprano and I'd like to hear what folks are using for swabs. The mouthpiece end diameter is so tight that it's easy to get swabs stuck in it even when they are advertised as made for the MK VI. I have had to use scissors to cut out a couple of swabs,(one was a B&G that I was assured would fit the Mk VI). Also, I have seen pictures of pad savers that have a small wooden handle, I have an HW brand pad saver for the MK VI but it isn't as long as I would like. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
There must be some kind of stuffer that would work. I have removable neck so I use a stuffer - I'll put the straight neck on tomorrow and see if my stuffer can go all the way. I think you'll still need a short narrow brush/stuffer for the 'neck' area but the two-part approach might work for you.

·
14,268 Posts
Nothing . . . I don’t swab my sopranos just because of having a swab stuck in one. Much already posted about this issue. Please - no admonishments or advice, please . . . been there, done that. DAVE

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
My stuffer will go all the way up into the neck from the bell end but you would have to put a handle on it - its not long enough to do that on a one-piece. Its perfect for me because I have to take the neck off to put it in the case, so the stuffer stops at the bell. If you start with a clean sax, the stuffer will keep it clean if used every time you put the sax in the case. all you have to do is hand-wash the stuffer yearly and dry it before putting it back in.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I got a "Chateau" stringy looking thing with a small cloth attached..came with a Asian sop I bought and sold. The thing actually works great, I don't force or jam it. Now I got a Series II Sop on the way, glad I kept the swab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts