Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave
So what's the cost . Do you have the $12 monthly ? You think it's worth it?
Some of the other big names like Wix and Weebly have $5 plans . iPage is $2 ...but maybe there are hidden fees?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,062 Posts
I've used Squarespace for Progger's website for a few years and it works really well. Great e-commerce, all that stuff. Unfortunately, the layout that I use and that I'm still granfathered into doesn't seem to be available any more! Plus, their prices have gone WAY up since I started with them.

I was using a similar Squarespace template for my personal musician website, but a few months ago I switched over to Wordpress and I love their new interface. They've come a LONG way since the first sites I made with them years back. Now they're extremely competitive with Squarespace and a good bit more affordable. If I can find a way to sell sheet music on Wordpress as easily as I can on Squarespace, I might migrate Progger's website over to WP as well.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I use bandzoogle just to post my gigs and my originals, etc.- it's a hobby for me so it has to be pretty cheap- $8 a month. It's run by musicians and has great customer service. My website- https://sonjahannington.com/

·
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Brian
Your personal site looks great , Just what I need . What do they charge you?

bob

·
2,062 Posts
Hey Brian
Your personal site looks great , Just what I need . What do they charge you?

bob
Thank you! They have a whole bunch of options, and they also do tons of coupons and discounts throughout the year (they seem to have 20% discounts all the time). I think I paid, like, $80 for the year, and that's for one of the higher-tier plans with better templates... Squarespace was about to charge me $140 for the year. Wordpress has plenty of free options that you can try out, too, they're just not as ideal for my purposes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Get a Google business account. $12 you get UNLIMITED Google Drive space (great for backups, storing your files, etc), email, and you can run your website using Google Sites.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dreamhost and Wordpress, and Google Sites. I'm pretty old fashioned and don't really like the canned look of drag-and-drop methods; I'm more of a type in the html and javascript kind of guy, plus I get results that I can tweak for different browsers. It might look old fashioned, but it's easier to grasp and navigate than more contemporary "brochure" kind of web sites. I find that Sites works well for all of our non-profit's staff and volunteers to create and share content; I did make our Volunteer Handbook with Sites, and we use Google Apps for Business and laptops for all that. Using Adobe Echosign for online eForms. NetSuite for financials, online web store, CRM/donor management, etc.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,870 Posts
Originally I coded my own sites, but then used heavily customised Wordpress. Since Wordpress with the lates update seems to be down the tubes I'm gradually switching the sites over to Classicpress, which is a fork of Wordpress that keeps the more creative text editor.

I'm designing and running sites for other peoples well as my own, so need hosting that offers the best for performance and SEO, which sadly isn't cheap.

SEO is something that many people don't even think about, but what's the use of a great site if nobody finds it?

·
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow!
Super Duper shout out to all of you and the SOT W community.
I could’ve searched for hours with Google and gotten nothing but fake review sites.
You guys are awesome this is an amazing wealth of information.

So it seems like some of you are programmers but I’m more in line with Roundmidnight . Just need an easy way to post promo material for clients that aren’t Facebook savvy. Also I do have a domain name that’s pretty good so I would like to be able to use it.
Is that a hosting issue? Pete mentioned SEO . My Lunarpages account works well for searching. I wouldn’t want to stick Weebly or wicks in front of my domain I don’t think?

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you're going to use one of the websites as a service / buildersites, one thing to consider and check out is if you own your content or not. If you leave, they may not let you export your data to put on a new site.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Why is the main issue cost? Don't want to start a flame here but isn't the main idea to get a site that works for what you want it to do? If you are trying to get your info out into the ether, wouldn't the most important issues be how flexible and easy to use a site would be. Maybe I'm in a different space but I don't even know off the top what my host charges me. I pay the bill once a year. I know that my site does what I need. There have to be lots of site services that work well and maybe some have been mentioned so far. It just seems to me that the main issue becomes what's the cheapest...

·
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why is the main issue cost? Don't want to start a flame here but isn't the main idea to get a site that works for what you want it to do? If you are trying to get your info out into the ether, wouldn't the most important issues be how flexible and easy to use a site would be. Maybe I'm in a different space but I don't even know off the top what my host charges me. I pay the bill once a year. I know that my site does what I need. There have to be lots of site services that work well and maybe some have been mentioned so far. It just seems to me that the main issue becomes what's the cheapest...
Hey Ralph your website seems just fine. It doesn't have the "template look" that sites like Weebly have. It reminds me of my old Apple iWeb site.

Ease of use is defiantly a consideration. In fact my OP says I'm looking for one of the new easy to do sites at the best price and what about hidden costs. ?
I want to spend my creative time on music not website design .
I think I may just stay with Lunarpages and use Weebly through them. My research shows most of the basic sites are around $100-$200 a year.
If you search some old posts on this subject you'll find people wanting $1000 + to do a website. That's the way it goes. Stuff gets cheap people lose their jobs and move on.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yea, $1000 to do a web site!! Ouch. I'm certainly not there. I'm no great shakes at computer stuff, know enough to get done what I need so DIY works in that regards. My hosting co provides the format and I insert stuff and update once in a while. I'm not in the business of needing to make money from what's on my site and while I'm sure I could do lots more with the site, local promotion and being able to refer people to the site, is all I need. My costs are under $150 a year with Hostpapa. I know there are cheaper sites but as I noted, I don't consider my host costs expensive and working fine for me. More time on the horn...

·
Registered
154 Posts
HI,
if you already have a domain on your own name - than you can use Mobirise.com. That's a very easy website builder like Jimdo or Weebly, drag and drop and it has automatic design for mobile phones - as nowadays most people go internet via phone (which is crazy). I mean with all the super visual things you can create on the net now you look into that tiny display...
Mobirise is free as long as you use the basic templates that come with it - they are quite flexible. Other templates cost around 50€ but only once.

·
2,062 Posts
FYI, Wordpress is doing one of their big ol' 20% off sales right now. I swear they do one every other month or so, if you just wait for one of those then it's a pretty phenomenal deal. I love their new block system since I'm not an actual web developer, but I can see how an actual HTML/CSS/Javascript/etc guru would be frustrated by it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts