Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2161 - 2171 of 2171 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,599 Posts
Re: What are you listening to right now? (NEW thread)

Never too early for Xmas. Gotta start practicing those sax carols now if you want to sound good by then.

Me, I'm listening to this great band and singer. Check out them horns.....dancing, singing and blowing their butts off. This is real music with a real singer real musicians with real instruments and real soul.

I caught his act the last Super Bowl. He and the band cooked! [The people watching with me put him down because they "listen with their eyes."]

Pop stuff CAN be done without *****ing on Music.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts

Bob Rockwell.

He's a really good tenor player from Oklahoma who has lived in Denmark a long time and is not very well know, although he has issued a decent number of albums in Europe. I hung out with him and heard him play last November when he was on tour with Ben Sidran who is an old friend.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts

I think that this is the first jazz album I ever had. My aunt gave it to me for my Birthday back in 1958 when it was issued. Ahmad Jamal was very successful back then and even Miles said he was influenced by his playing. It sounds very very light to me now, almost like cocktail jazz, but of course there has been a lot of music under the bridge since then, so if it didn't, something would be wrong. But he still was talented and this is good music.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts

Phil Woods, Village Vangard, on Altec Voice of the Theatre speakers. Heaven.

·
Registered
658 Posts

"Thelonious In Action" album...recorded live at the Five Spot Cafe, New York on July 9 and August 7, 1958.
Thelonious Monk (piano); Johnny Griffin (tenor saxophone); Ahmed Abdul-Malik (bass); Roy Haynes (drums).

Right now Monk's original "Light Blue" is playin'.....Monk is right, always! Even when he's wrong, then he's right wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,599 Posts

The Two Lonely People - Bill Evans, via YouTube

·
Registered
658 Posts

Several Billie Holiday albums (some with Lester Young, another with Ben Webster).

2161 - 2171 of 2171 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.