Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old thread got very long. Now closed but still accessible.
As a starter for this new one:

Smart people listen to Radiohead and dumb people listen to Beyoncé, according to study

study said:
How does a person’s intelligence relate to the type of music they listen to? For the last several years, a software application writer by the name of Virgil Griffith has charted musical tastes based on the average SAT scores of various college institutions. For example, students attending the California Institute of Technology have an average SAT score of 1520. By looking at Facebook to determine the most popular (or — “liked”) band of students at Cal Tech, Griffith was able to conclude that Radiohead really truly is music for smart people. A highly scientific study, I know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Those results seem to coincide, more or less, with my experiences/observations as well :dazed:...

But...no kidding....really.

Besides listening to the demo we cut last week and trying to convince my bandmates that it is well below our respective abilities.... needs to be done again...and please do NOT use it to shop us around ....:|...

and since we are speaking of smart and dumb, simultaneously...

I have actually been listening to some old Kid Creole and the Coconuts.... That band could actually smack it...great full concert from years ago on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0yQtDHj5HI

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I recently discovered Chris Byars and am listening to "Jasmine Flower", "Lucky Strikes Again", "Bop-ography" and "Night Owls". Also, listening to Steve Treseler's recordings "Resonance" and "Center Song"'

·
Registered
658 Posts
Playing mostly tenor and sop sax nowadays but like to listen to John Hodges.
E.g now 'Day Dream' by Billy Strayhorn.
Now that is a real gem and Jeep is absolutely marvellous on Day Dream! I'd also say any sop player should listen to Johnny Hodges (on sop as well as on alto).
Thanks Harri!

I hope that by prefacing this thread I do not limit members' desire to freely express themselves :)
You're truly a very considerate and eloquent host, Harri!

Don't worry, I'd listen to the music of Billy Strayhorn no matter what that would mean according to any chart :)

Duke Ellington - And His Mother Called Him Bill

·
Registered
189 Posts
The first question that popped into my head: Is this on the 1600 point scale or 2400 point scale? Seemed pretty unbelievable that Caltech's average score was only 1520 on the current 2400 point scale. Turns out that it is the 1600 scale which hasn't been used since 1995 (but will be reverted back to in 2016). The second question that popped into my head: What exactly qualifies as "jazz"? Does jazz mean Kenny G or Coltrane?

From the link a more complete chart shows hip hop barely edging out jazz with classical music ranking only slightly higher, but still taking up the rear. I think Debber hit the nail on the head by pointing out that this was only a Facebook population that was considered. Maybe the smart kids were not represented. Or maybe us jazz fanatics aren't really as smart as we think we are?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gene Krupa. Drummer Man. After all these years I've just noticed it was arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
From the link a more complete chart shows hip hop barely edging out jazz with classical music ranking only slightly higher, but still taking up the rear.
Classical music as a generic category was pretty low on the full chart, but "Beethoven" was a complete outlier at the very top, 100 points higher than anything else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
'Directions in Music' - Brecker, Hargrove, Hancock - 'Impressions'. Tension and no release?

1 - 20 of 529 Posts