Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer Series III Alto
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing mine about a year and when people ask me what it is I've stopped including "Seles." It just confuses people.

Motion to just call it the Selmer Axos going forward?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,474 Posts
if they didn’t want to call it that way they must have had their good reasons not to mix Seles to Selmer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,018 Posts
Axos? Seles? Are these the Chinese Selmers that took the place of the Selmer USA line?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Selmer USA is a separate company. Seles is owned by Henri Selmer France.

·
Registered
Selmer Series III Alto
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See what I mean?

I get Selmer wanting to differentiate between price points and having the Selmer Paris name only on the top line horns, but all the marketing stuff I see out there now is pushing how much of the construction is done in France, and how it's a true Selmer. Like...then why don't you just call it that? You're either proud of the product you've put out or you aren't.

·
Registered
Selmer Series III Alto
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seles is a sub brand of Selmer Paris, that right now only makes the Axos alto sax and two clarinets, but they all still have the Selmer Paris mark on them, leading to both brand confusion and making their titles a mouthful to say.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,018 Posts
Yeah, everybody knows that. The point was, when Selmer USA was making their horns, the retailers had a step-up model with the Selmer name on it to go along with the Paris horns. Then there was a long period after Selmer USA stopped making instruments when this was not possible. Now, apparently, it is again except with Chinese horns.

·
Registered
Selmer Series III Alto
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Selmer USA still does that with Taiwanese and Chinese horns. Seles horns are still made and assembled in Paris, but some of the parts are outsourced and some of the manufacturing processes are more automated (namely, the bell is stamped in a hydraulic press like the bows are).

·
Registered
872 Posts
Selmer USA still does that with Taiwanese and Chinese horns. Seles horns are still made and assembled in Paris, but some of the parts are outsourced and some of the manufacturing processes are more automated (namely, the bell is stamped in a hydraulic press like the bows are).
Sounds cool, do you have a link about the different bell making process?

·
Registered
Selmer Series III Alto
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
https://youtu.be/77aWCcV12Vk

The video shows them doing it, verses the hand shaping you'll see in other videos. My understanding from other posts is this is also one of the big differences between the Yamaha Customs and the 62s.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Now $3K+/- gives you the choice of a new Selmer Paris Seles Axos, Yani AW01 or Yamaha 62. Whether that is a good price point for high volume sales, I don't know; some folks do want a new horn.

Speculating on US marketing for Seles brand, it must be tough to break through Yamaha ubiquity for the presumed intended audience. They were much too expensive at first. A lot of nearly-unplayed Conn-Selmer demos showed up (still available) from resellers like Quinn. Do the demos and brand persuade band directors to recommend them for students? Teachers must have a huge influence on young player purchases (or their parents) and it seems there is a strong hive mind. I believe at least one college is providing Axos for their performance majors. At the DC Saxophone Symposium in January there was an Axos promotional demonstration, discussion and give-away, a signal of some marketing effort.

As an adult hobbyist starting in sax, I wanted a new Selmer and had an Axos for about three months. Sold it for more than I paid when I got more serious and moved to an SII, and then a Ref54. Could I tell (or care) that the keys were made elsewhere, perhaps Taiwan or Viet Nam or wherever? Or that the bell was stamped from two halves rather than a hammered soldered tube? No. The pads were Pisoni Pro and the touches genuine pearl. The case was magnificent--a simplified Light Case (BAM) such as comes with SII and SIII. The MP was an S80 C*. I thought the hand engraving was perfect, lacquer fine, craftsmanship and quality overall excellent. It needed a lot more setup than other Selmers I've had--neck was loose, RH pinkie C spring flabby, C/Eb table angle wrong, and a lot of leaks and timing errors. But all that gets perfected by a good tech, for another few hundred bucks probably. After that, you have a new, great-playing, genuine Selmer Paris for $3K+.

Great to have choices. At how many stores could you try out all three horns above off the wall, plus some Taiwan or Vietnamese store brands? Kessler, Sax.co.uk, I'm sure a few others... Otherwise you buy on-line based on reading and Youtube demos and maybe trusted personal recommendations. Great to have choices, and I'm happy that Selmer Paris is manufacturing an offering in that space. I hope their margins are large enough to stay alive.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Prof. Haar review: https://youtu.be/6p1VOwaRfYE

Good horn? Good value? I heard mostly ambivalence--good hand engraving is "weird?"--not entirely clear about his bottom line recommendation but my sense was overall negative and get a Yani instead.

On the other hand, street price is 17% less than he said and perhaps that would modify his conclusion.

10mfan MP shout-out! Neff was right, "You can spot these three lines from pretty far away."

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Prof. Haar review: https://youtu.be/6p1VOwaRfYE

Good horn? Good value? I heard mostly ambivalence--good hand engraving is "weird?"
I watched his review video earlier, but I believe he was referring to the fact that there are small engraved areas in odd places, such as under/around the keys on the lower stack. I agree that he was ambivalent on the whole. It was as if he kept working up to a full-throated endorsement, but then constantly thought better of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All Selmer Paris alto bells are stamped in a hydraulic press and not hand hammered.
As you can see in this video in about 3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFVQSXYttLw

On topic: I call it the Selmer Axos, an so does every one I hear talk about it here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts