Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing so many different brands popping up on this forum that i'm a bit confused. So i'm wondering who the great manufacturers for metal mpc's are today (for instance if we were talking about saxes names such as Keilwerth, Selmer or Yanagisawa among others would be almost inevitable).
About a year ago, i bought a metal link but now i tend to think i shouldn't have rushed so much in buying what i had heard was the "best" make around (i was so wrong!). Strangely enough, it's only since i bought it that i started hearing about the quality deficit these mpc's tend to suffer from nowadays...
On another topic, i'm about to acquire a T991 in about a week so if anyone has some advice on a good mpc to suit the sax (metal or not) i'd be glad to hear from him/her.
I have just been to my local sax dealer today in Brussels (Belgium) who happens to be in close contact with Francois Louis and it seems like he gets quite alot of orders from overseas for custom made mouthpieces (joe lovano plays with one - there's even a dedicated picture of him in the store!). Can anyone give me any feedback on the FL custom mpc's since i haven't really found any topic discussing this matter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot to mention that i would also like to know what are the general qualities/flaws attributed to each mpc and what kinda sound they each make (in a way, one brand has a pannel of qualities another brand doesn't cover, right?)

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it's good enough for Joe, It's good enough for me :) I'd say the most commonly used modern mpcs i've seen on this forum so far have been the Otto Link Super Tone Master, Runyons of various sorts, Lawtons, Dukoffs, and Vandoren V16s. I don't have just oodles of experience with metal mouthpieces (I'm mostly a classical player), but I rather like my Beechler Bellite 6. It has a very bright sound, very cutting and edgy. Not so bright that it's painful. It sounds a bit like a Dukoff, actually. Quality control nowadays is next to nonexistent, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
406 Posts
GibsonLesPaul said:
I like my Link, what can I say. The only problem with metal mouthpieces in general is that some leave a metallic taste in your mouth (anyone know how to get rid of that?).
Keep a bottle of beer by you at all times....for the sake of music :p

·
Registered
729 Posts
Metal Claude Lakeys are very well-made mouthpieces.I recently got an #8 for tenor and it plays really great.I haven't seen much discussion about these pieces but they are completely different from plastic Lakeys;big,fat,projective sound,like Links should be.One of the best metal pieces I've played ever.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all your responses up to now.
According to me, these are the major mpc manufacturers at the moment: otto link,berg larsen, dukoff and guardala. More suggestions anyone ?
Pros and cons of each ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you thinking about primarily round chambered pieces? If not then also consider the Yanagisawa metal, (it sounds fairly warm to me) also you might check Rovner eagle/deep-v out too (if you need the cut and volume that they can provide).

FWIW:: If the T991 is "new" maybe the dealer will substitute a HR Yanagisawa mouthpiece of a tip opening that you are used to playing for the stock piece that comes with the new horn.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
my 2 cents :

if you want a well centered sound and a very good all round piece : Joddy Jazz ESP

if you want a bright powerful sound go for a high baffle piece. The Ponzol M2 is really good at this

it you want a rich jazz sound (spread), go for a Link STM. In the 8* tip opening you will also get a lot of power.

BTW, where are you in Brussels ? I lived there for 20 years ...
Marc.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Link,Berg and Dukoff have been in the business for a long time but the quality of their mpcs is not what it used to be.With them,you have to try 10 mpcs to find a good one.

For a good metal mpc check out Guardala,Lawton,JodyJazz,Runyon,Lakey,Ponzol,SR Tech,Vandoren,Yanagisawa or Gregory (if you have the $$$),just to name a few.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marc, i live in ixelles but for sax equipment it all happens in the center of brussels, that's where the action's at. Where did you used to go regarding saxophone business ? any names ?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
SaxyAcoustician, you are right about your comment. The player counts for most of it.

Bronson, its about 15 years I left Belgium but last year I saw several shops close to the "mont des arts" (albertine).
Hope you find your MPC !
Marc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
Morgan should be included. My tenor Morgan HR is an exceptional piece and Morgans get favorable comments from others.

Claude Lakey Jazz HR has worked well for me on alto.

Selmer (Soloist) are popular pieces if eBay sales is any measure.

A Yanigasawa HR mpc works best for me on soprano.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.