Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been playing sax right at 20 years, I was playing a yas23 with a premiere by Hite mouthpiece. I recently upgraded horns to a Cannonball big bell stone series in brute finish. I was completely blown away at how this upgrade has made my playing more efficient. I was really struggling to play the lower register with any dynamics on the yas. Now i'm able to do it easily. I'm hearing tones come out of this new horn I didn't know I was capable of. I would like to experiment with a jazz oriented mouthpiece. I believe the Hite has a .069 tip opening and I'm looking at going to a .075 opening maybe a Dukoff, or otto link 6, maybe a Beechler 5. I've never really looked into mouthpieces i just wanted to play what i had really well and I think my student horn was holding me back. Would this be logical move or is it a huge jump from where i'm at?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd avoid the Dukoff and Beechler, the Otto Link is OK, but a Meyer, or maybe better, a Meyer-like clone, would be better. The Dukoff and the Beechler would be too bright - maybe OK if you are playing lead in a big band (and maybe not) but for general jazz work, a bit too strident. Just my opinion :)

I like the D'Addario Select Jazz mouthpiece - based on a Meyer, but manufactured much more accurately. Either a D5M (0.073") or D6M (0.078") would be fine for you. None of these choices would be a big jump from your current piece.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you have a teacher, he or she would definitely be the one to pose this question to. If not... get a teacher. Obviously private lessons are a big commitment though, so if it's not possible for you right now, then you'll get some good advice here.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I'd avoid the Dukoff and Beechler, the Otto Link is OK, but a Meyer, or maybe better, a Meyer-like clone, would be better. The Dukoff and the Beechler would be too bright - maybe OK if you are playing lead in a big band (and maybe not) but for general jazz work, a bit too strident. Just my opinion :)

I like the D'Addario Select Jazz mouthpiece - based on a Meyer, but manufactured much more accurately. Either a D5M (0.073") or D6M (0.078") would be fine for you. None of these choices would be a big jump from your current piece.
+1 to all of this and I'd add the Vandoren V16 the list of pieces to consider as they tend to be some of the most consistently finished of the mass produced pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts