Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
Maybe my answer was a bit obtuse. What I meant by descending 4ths is you are going around the cycle of 4ths in this way:

Start on any note, go down a perfect 5th, then up a perfect 4th, then down a 5th, up a 4th, and so on. Try that and you'll get it. The chord root movement is in 4ths.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JL, thanks for the reply and for your time, unfortunately I don't have the theoretical knowledge at this stage of my development to comprehend your explanation...:-(
Is there somewhere I can go to learn more about this ?

What I meant by descending 4ths is you are going around the cycle of 4ths in this way:

Start on any note, go down a perfect 5th, then up a perfect 4th, then down a 5th, up a 4th, and so on. Try that and you'll get it. The chord root movement is in 4ths.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
JL, thanks for the reply and for your time, unfortunately I don't have the theoretical knowledge at this stage of my development to comprehend your explanation...:-(
Is there somewhere I can go to learn more about this ?
Good idea to get the chart from Randy. But it's also a good idea to understand how the notes relate to the harmony and tonic center (key), especially if you need to transpose it to another key (for alto or tenor, for ex).

If you do a bit of research and find out what a 'perfect 5th' is and what a 'perfect 4th' is, you'll be able to interpret what I said (I think). It's a good idea to learn all the intervals and what they sound like. Any basic music theory or "jazz theory" book would cover it. I'll see if I can dig up a link for you.

Anyway, enjoy learning this tune! It's a favorite of mine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Grab a basic keyboard along the road. 2-3 octaves are all you need to get going, and a usb connection makes it quite useful.
It makes finding notes and chords and understanding how they relate to each other way easier.

Good choice of song too. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Another cheeky way to find out what the notes are is to pull the song into a sound editor (e.g., Audacity, free), find where each note in the passage is, highlight it and just play that note back (maybe loop it) and find the note on your sax.

Once you get more comfortable with a particular key, you'll be able to pick intervals better with your ear (just about knowing what your frame of reference is.)

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts