Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The correct answer (among modern Selmer tenors) is Ref 36o. I don't hear anything remotely "vintage" about the 54. At least the 36 has a voice.
right on. Off to a gig with my beloved ref 36 which I purchased for less than selling my 1937 BA. better ergs, low end and intonation and overall sound IMO after hours of comparision. I do not understand the negative comments on this horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,019 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What Selmers have you played?

You need to do some more homework on that.

G'luck.
Well, it looks like I would REALLY have to head over to Roberto's winds in Manhattan someday.

Summer 2008: I tried a chinese imported saxophone, didn't like that one.
October 2008- I bought an off brand sax model.
Late/Mid and 2008 t: I have played a loaner vintage old bundy, sadly.
Early 2010- I got rid of the horn I bought.

Mid/Late 2010: Took a break from sax.

Yes, I agree 100% with you Dr G, I've started reading mouthpiece charts and so that I can make comparisons between mouthpiece, and to determine which one is suitable for me. I am thinking of getting a Meyer 5M mouthpiece.

April 8, 2011 till now: I am currently on a Bundy II. Got back on the sax.
I'm dying to try a Mark VI alto and a Ref. 54 alto
My music store doesn't have any Mark VI's where I live.

July 2011: Still playing saxophone with a crappy tone.:cussing::cussing:
I will switch to Vandoren Blue box reeds.:):):):):):):):):

Sometime in Fall 2011- I will take private lessons.

Early 2012: TBA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>To Be Announced<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I personally liked the Reference 54 the most of all the horns you talk about. I seem to be in the minority here with that one, however, I will agree it sounds nothing like any of the Mark VI tenors I've tried. I also find the YTS-62 to be a very excellent horn. The P.Mauriat is a great horn but seemed geared to only jazz and not very versatile, it was odd. I couldn't get the classical tone I wanted from it. I'd let the Mauriat go until you have the need for a "niche" horn.

Then again, I prefer my Barone "Vintage" over everything listed here. You can find comparisons here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ntage-Review&p=1560256&viewfull=1#post1560256

·
Registered
92 Posts
An hour a day keeps the GAS away :twisted:

That said, don't limit yourself to just Refs and VIs. There are lots of fine saxes out there. I didn't go to a store looking for a Series II, but one found me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I personally liked the Reference 54 the most of all the horns you talk about. I seem to be in the minority here with that one
Or people who prefer the 36 are more inclined to write about it here because they're in the minority?

There isn't much you can conclude about the real world from what you read on SOTW - no offense to anyone.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I tried one ref 54 tenor (at Matthew Muziek in Netherlands, great shop by the way), and it was a fabulous horn. Great tone, very even from bottom to top, excellent keywork). Comparing it to other tenors I've played, overall it reminded me more about the yanagisawa T992 than the mark VI.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would agree with J. Lima: mouthpieces make more difference than the sax, once one has a good horn. I have a Mark VI and a Ref 54 (I bought the former aeons ago for next to nothing), and I keep swapping between them (and trying different necks and endless different mouthpieces, not because there is an ideal sound for me, but because you can vary the sound so much). I couldn't say either is better: the VI probably has a bit bigger sound, but the 54 is a bit more focused and smoother. I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell, listening to recordings of myself, which one I am playing. It's IMHO time again.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Now that I have both a Ref 54 and a Mark VI, the main differences for me are that the Ref 54:
a) has a more focused sound
b) is darker
c) has less resonance, less harmonics
d) has more resistance
Ergonomically, both are excellent and very similar in terms of feel.
The Mark VI is my main tenor and the Ref 54 is my backup horn.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I just jumped on a great MK VII Tenor,a real players horn it is.Will use it for jazz gigs for sure.When the time is right i will be putting roos in.The last VII i played was years ago and i never found the ergos a problem then and the same now.Had a good few VI's in the past and this VII is very focused and with that selmer core vibe.

·
2,294 Posts
Now that I have both a Ref 54 and a Mark VI, the main differences for me are that the Ref 54:
b) is darker
d) has more resistance
I totally agree with this assessment - very well summed up. The only thing I would add is that ergonomically the LH on the MKVI is noticeably more comfortable than on the Ref 54 IMO.

My Ref 54 tenor recently has a (very happy) new owner!

·
Registered
37 Posts
b) is darker
d) has more resistance
I have two Mark VI´s, a Ref 36 and a nice Ref 54.
- love every singel one of them.

I would not totally agree .... IMHO the Ref 54 plays different like it was at the Mark VI´s

my Ref 54 against (my) Mark VI´s

a) same focus, i found it sounds more compressed all over the Horn
b) agree - darker
c) not sure if it has less resonance, but definitive less harmonics
d) less or the same resistance
Ergonomic: First i thought Selmer wasn´t able to copy the MK 6 Mechanic.
After playing for a while, i found the Reference Mechanic as good.

If it had adjustable Palmkeys, it would be definitive better than the Mark VI Mechanic.
At the Ref 36 i added a Palmkey-Riser at D.

The Ref 54 was a good sounding and powerful Horn.
But i play less on the 54 and more on the Ref 36 and the Mk VI´s.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
757 Posts
Oh guys come on... the Ref 54 tenor is an awesome horn. IMHO it is everything the MK VI is rumored to be and more.

The Ref 54 is definitely a heavier horn though.

·
13,621 Posts
I disagree having owned both but it comes down to personal preference.

To me the vinis so much more alive. After thinking about it a lot I finally decided that a vi sounds like a vi where as the 54 sounded like a good recording of a vi. It just didn't seem to want to break out of its constraints.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
464 Posts
You do realise that the last post before today was 5 years ago!

Since then, there has been loads on here about this subject.

FWIIW, I've had my 6 for 40 years, and I got a Ref54 a few years back. It laid mainly in its box until I sold it about a year ago!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts