Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a Selmer Reference 54 for sale on WWBW, and a Mark VI Tenor on sale at PM Woodwinds.com, and I want to know the difference between the 2.

How is the key action on the Selmer Ref. 54 compared to the Mark VI?

I think both saxes are cool.

I have tried a Yamaha professional sax and a YAS-23, they have decent intonation.
But I prefer the Yamaha pro- line horns.

What about the P- Mauriats? I've seen them personally, they look very beautiful, with the blue key pearl buttons. The Mauriats aren't that expensive, from my point of view.

If I had an early version Mark VI Tenor sax, I'd be very lucky, they seem to be a good line of saxes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I personally enjoyed the Reference 54. I played one about 3 years ago and it projected even though it was a very dark horn. The action on it was quite simialr to the VI(which is what I play) I think either way you would be happy. The Mark VI will always be an investment so if you have the money to invest in such horns then I would go that way. But the 54 is an awesome horn for being comparable to the VI.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really prefer the Mark VI personally. It has a certain core tone and tonal color that emits from it that, (so far), hasn't been duplicated. I've played numerous 54's and I actually own a 36 that I'm trying to sell....and both still aren't like the originals. Both the 54 and the 36 are nice horns...but they're, (to me), not as flexible as a good Mark VI. But it all depends on what you're looking for.
Thanks for your point of View on the difference between the Reference 54 and the Selmer Mark VI,
Jaared, good to see you on my thread post, that's true about the mark VI, I heard it being played by numerous players, and it does have a good sound.

By the way, I listen to your music too, I'm a big fan of your music.:)
I heard you play a 1954 Mark VI Alto, that is very awesome!!!
I also like the Selmer Mark VI Alto, Tenor and Soprano Saxes, the ones that came out from 1954 through 1964-1969!!! I wish I owned one, that would be completely awesome.

Keep up the good work Jaared, you're one of the best artists I've ever heard.
You have a great sound on soprano sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,621 Posts
I have owned both. With the 54 no matter what I did I just could never feel settled. Recorded it sounded awesome but playing it just felt mechanical and there was some element of the tone that just nagged at me despite not hearing it in recordings. It just sounded modern...kind of squeezed a bit to tight.

Then I got the VI. It seemed more alive, more resonant under my fingers and a much and bigger tone.

Its a really personal thing but for me there was no contest. The flexibility and feel of the VI made, for me, an experience that never happened with the 54.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your wonderful compliments. I really appreciate that.

When I first bought my Mark VI, I had to get a personal loan at my bank for it. I was lucky that the bank liked me and they trusted me to pay back the loan....(banks did that back then!....can you believe it???). That's when I got my 1954 Mark VI Alto that I still play as my main alto sax and "voice" to this very day.

Saxophones are so "personal".....because each one has it's very own sound and "character". You may try a sax that, to you, speaks to you and sounds better to you than a Mark VI. That's what happened with my Soprano. I've played more Mark VI Soprano's than I can count.....and my Selmer Series III Soprano, to my ears, sounds better.....but then again, it's "my" ears. ;)
I never knew that banks were nice enough to let you take a loan for a beautiful Mark VI alto!!!! And how they trusted you, that was really nice of them.
That's exactly how I may buy my Mark VI when I need to. I thought of paying it w/ a loan, before you posted that you bought a Mark VI w/ a loan. How ironic!!
I was thinking about how I would buy my Mark VI, so I came up with this idea.

But I hope a bank would be nice enough to let me do that!!!
Sadly, these days, banks only look for ways to make money by sucking the money out of people's pockets.

But I know I have to pay it off someday, and I will. It would mean I would have to have good credit and pay bills right spot-on time- and I will quickly pay my bills to have great credit, for a bank to let me take out loans, and pay it out.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mind you.....when I got my personal loan to buy my first Mark VI, we're talking 1987. Times are RADICALLY different now regarding banks. However, depending on where you find/get your VI, that store/person may allow you to make payments possibly.

I hope you'll find your VI someday. :)
Whoa! Talk about back in the day! That must have been a pleasant experience.

I have listened to many good songs from that year.
1987 must have been one of the best years of the 1980s.

That is true, times change, especially when it comes to banking and finance.
Nowadays we have banks that only think about chiseling people out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,019 Posts
That is true, times change, especially when it comes to banking and finance.
Nowadays we have banks that only think about chiseling people out.
No, banks still make money from lending money. If you have good credit, you can take out a personal loan regardless of what you use the money to buy. Similarly, given good credit, if you find a horn you like at a dealer, you could put the horn on your credit card.

No credit, no money? It's a great opportunity to do your home work so when the time comes, you can make an informed choice.

G'luck!

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, banks still make money from lending money. If you have good credit, you can take out a personal loan regardless of what you use the money to buy. Similarly, given good credit, if you find a horn you like at a dealer, you could put the horn on your credit card.

No credit, no money? It's a great opportunity to do your home work so when the time comes, you can make an informed choice.

G'luck!
They do still??? That is awesome man!!!!

Well, to be honest with you, when I get my "VI set" -Alto, Tenor and Soprano, I will do it by going to Roberto's Winds and Sam Ash in Manhattan to try them out.

Oh, and here's the best part- Roberto's Winds has a room full of them!!!!!!!!!!! A mark VI room!!! No kidding.

If not, I'll get a P.Mauriat Alto/Tenor and then sell them after a few years, to get Mark VI horns.
And when I'm not in the studio or performing, I'll get a cheap priced good quality horn for practice, like a Vito, or a Jupiter horn.

When I get a bank account, I will pay my bills right on time, and get good credit so I can buy the 3 mark VI's I plan to buy.

I will appreciate, love, and care for them when I first receive them.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
yes, you will be a perfect, beautiful person (if you're not one already...) :)

But before all those horn purchase plans, may I suggest that you get the best mouthpiece you can. That will count for your sound much more than your sax, Mark VI or not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have just come back to playing after many years away from it, I have owned MKVI's Ref 36, ect ect in Tenor sax's, I have just purchased a Selmer Ref 54 "Dragonbird" Limited edition and must say that I love it, it is one of the best Sax's that I have had and more than likely the last guys..

Steve

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
For the tenors, I've only heard one player that really made his sing...Mark Colby. Again that is the vintage matte finish ...the clear regular lacquer ones could play much clearer but I'm not sure...quality-wise they are top notch in my opinion...key work is stiff though...

R

·
35,019 Posts
The correct answer (among modern Selmer tenors) is Ref 36. I don't hear anything remotely "vintage" about the 54. At least the 36 has a voice.

·
35,019 Posts
Oh, did I forget to say "IMHO"? :twisted:

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes. Im on that too. I am in search for a rubber mouthpiece with an .80 tip opening for my Alto Saxophone.

I want to play on a metal mouthpiece when I get a tenor saxophone and a soprano saxophone when I sound like a pro on my alto.

All my horns will have open tip mouthpieces (.80-.85 tip opening for sure.)
and I want to use strength vandoren/rico 2.5 reeds on all saxes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts