Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Buescher Big B , Love my one! great sound with a good large chamber piece.

Try a yanagisawa b991 or yamaha ybs62

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
What are you playing now that would lead you to believe that you need to 'upgrade'?
FWIW I love my old Buescher 400. 'Beauford' is a monster. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Your budget and expectations of what you want to get out of an upgrade would be helpful.

As far as modern-esq vintage bari's, a Buescher Aristocrat or 400, a Conn 12M, or a Martin Committee would be good choices. They aren't too hard to come by, are fairly mouthpiece friendly, and are very solid horns. And all have low A counterparts if you absolutely have to have a bari keyed to low A (a late 400, 11M, or low A Magna)...but the low A variations tend to be less common, some more so than others.

But those are just a few...there are a ton of good vintage bari's out there. Whether any would be a good fit just depends on your sound concept and how you feel about keywork on older horns.

When it comes to modern bari's, my money is always on Yanagisawa. In my experience, as far as low A bari's go, nothing beats the sound of a Yani. Sometimes older stencils pop up that are fairly good values also...like a Vito (not to be confused with the Beaugnier horns) or a Whitehall.

But, if given the choice between a Yani or one of my vintage American Bari's...it's a no brainer for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I've played quite a few of the older and newer horn models (by no means all, but most of the common ones and a few rarer horns)

I will say though, The King Zephyr is a very fun horn to play!! It is definitely worth looking into. I also enjoy the Mark VI. High on the list but not quite favorites are the Martin baris, and the Conn 12Ms. The Conn was uncomfortable the hold and play.

Newer horns, many of the Yamahas and Yanis are great players.

As others have said though, a bit more info will make it easier to help you ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
As far as modern-esq vintage bari's, a Buescher Aristocrat or 400, a Conn 12M, or a Martin Committee would be good choices. They aren't too hard to come by, are fairly mouthpiece friendly, and are very solid horns.
The early model Aristocrats from the 30s, with the split bell keys, are interesting horns, but in my experience, they don't play like baris. Early Crat altos or tenors will shake the walls. The bari has more of a Mulliganesque voice. It's not gonna aaa-oomp like a 12M.

And all have low A counterparts if you absolutely have to have a bari keyed to low A (a late 400, 11M, or low A Magna)...but the low A variations tend to be less common, some more so than others.
Magnas are good (ask Bootman), but you'll never find one. 11Ms and low A 400s can be found, but tend to be ex-school horns that look like they were used to break rocks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
For the player on a budget, there's my Orpheo Signature Bari in a copper finish.....gold plate even less expensive..

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
FWIW, I wouldn't call a pre-60's Buescher Aristocrat bari "mouthpiece friendly". They're actually based on the 1914 TT design and can be quite picky. They really really really want a very large chamber piece that can be hard to come by. That said, once you get the right piece they play quite large. The hunt for a workable piece on just about any pre-60's bari can be quite the challenge.

Owning 3, I obviousy love these horns. Just cautioning about the mouthpiece friendly bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
The hunt for a workable piece on just about any pre-60's bari can be quite the challenge.
True. The mouthpiece that can really make these horns yawp might not even exist yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
I guess I was a little vague on what I meant by Aristocrat. The later Aristo's (very late) were more akin to a 400 than the Big B/TT variety...and this is what I had in mind when I wrote that.

But Big B's are good choices as well (although they are less mouthpiece friendly).

·
8,588 Posts
True. The mouthpiece that can really make these horns yawp might not even exist yet.
At a minimum, it's a custom piece. I've had several modified to work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right now i am playing on a ybs-52 and that is a student model so it sucks and the price range is like 7000-8000 so it seems i am looking at used horns or a lesser new one. waht aare some in that range

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
YBS-52 baris are actually very good horns. The only thing I would concider 'student' about them is the person behind the mouthpiece.
I played one for 4 years before getting my Buescher and it was more than enough horn for my needs. Community band and Community theater pit orchestra.

If it's a school owned horn then yes, you might need something different but usually all you need to do is find a mouthpiece and reed combination that better suits your playing style and personal sound concept.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i do have the the mouthpeice and reed combo but the problem is the it is a school horn and i need to move up

·
8,588 Posts
I guess I was a little vague on what I meant by Aristocrat. The later Aristo's (very late) were more akin to a 400 than the Big B/TT variety...and this is what I had in mind when I wrote that.

But Big B's are good choices as well (although they are less mouthpiece friendly).
I obviously agree. :)

Vintage baris aren't for everyone. They don't tend to be as forgiving as their alto and tenor peers.

Although there are many on here that wonder why you're not happy with a YBS-52, they are solid and forgiving horns.

You can certainly move upmarket to a 62 or a Yani, if getting off the school horn is your goal. You could always try a new 52. It's bound to be in better condition.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Could be the horn just needs a decent tuneup/overhaul to get it back into proper playing shape ?

How long since the school had it tuned up by a technician ?

Do you clean it on a regular basis ?
Its not gunged up or a partially blocked tone hole/s ?

rpc's work quite nicely (well at least on my big b, as does a link te as does a rascher)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts