Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the best vintage horn that I can get for under (hopefully well under) $750. I know about the King Cleveland 615 that seems to go for around $500, but are there any other vintage tenors that I should keep a look out for? I'm looking for a real players horn and don't really care about looks so long as it sounds good and plays easily.

I'm open to suggestions...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And by "players horn" I mean a horn that can keep up with daily practice and weekly gigging without falling apart. I really only care about tone and intonation and not brand name or model.

·
Registered
439 Posts
And by "players horn" I mean a horn that can keep up with daily practice and weekly gigging without falling apart. I really only care about tone and intonation and not brand name or model.
You know man, if it were me- and it has been- I'd suck it up and buy a horn like a Yamaha YTS-62II. You can get a used one pretty cheap and they're built well and can take a beating. I've had my 82 on the road since I bought it. Yamaha makes a horn that will keep up with lots of playing and not "fall apart".

Often times, when you spend $500 on a horn- you only get $500 worth of a horn. Not to say that there aren't good deals out there, but keep in mind that many "vintage" horns, though well made and often pretty sounding, can also be hard to find parts for.

Just food for thought! Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,844 Posts
One of our members here could probably help you out. JayeSF is his name and his website is www.2ndending.com. You should be able to find something suitable with him. Not everything he has is listed on his site, so best to send him a private message here. Good luck to you!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
Go for a Martin Indiana. You can find them on ebay under $700 and although they are not quite a Committee model, they are very good tenors. Too bad your budget is not a bit higher as I have 3 listed here at SOTW. Sometimes you can find a Conn 10M from the 50s too.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I have a 1983 Armstrong Heritage ( Couf ), 1953 Buescher True Tone and a King 615. The Couf is big and dark, the TT is sweet and refined and the King kicks ***. It's loud and seems to take more air to fill, but can take a big push. The keywork is the least friendly but it's my main tenor now. I got it two years ago for $350.00 and put $75.00 into adjustments and metalwork (pads were fine).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,709 Posts
That amount will take a good deal of patience and searching. I dont know if you would call it great but the Pan American tenors use the same body tube as the 10M. They can be good horns. You might find one in good condition for somewhere near that. I have one waiting for new pads, corks and felts that I have not done anything to. They can be had for a good price. The problem is the price of getting one in good playing condition since that type of work is not exactly cheap.

The good news is that there has been no better time in the past few years to get a deal. A lot of horns are going for very decent prices. If you can knock that 500 up to 750 you start to open up many more possibilities.

Then again, there is always luck to hope for. You might get lucky and snag a pre Big B for around that on a good day.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
If you can push your budget up to $1000 or so, you'll have a much better chance of finding a decent Martin or King or Conn or Buescher. Of course I'm partial to Martins. I think JayeSF is in the process of moving from SF to Portland, but that might make him more eager to sell a tenor. Right now he's got a '62 Conn 10M for $1000 on his site.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am fortunate enough to be very patient, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Martin Indiana, Conn 10M, or King Cleveland 615. If I can't find one in a few months, so much the better since (hopefully) I'll have more money to spend on an even nicer horn.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
David Liebman argues that The Martin tenors are the most undervalued tenor on the market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
you can go two ways, one is buying from those like JayeSf or Bruce Bailey (and others) who have an outstanding reputation and tracking record on this forum on selling good stuff at a reasonable price. Another one is to search the market yourself and hope to find a horn which needs nothing and is sold for less that its real value. The first option is the easy and risk free option the second might be rewarding , you will learn something on e way or another, the process will keep you busy and entertain you for a while BUT you might **** up and end up spending more that you would have otherwise spent or even do that and have bought a lemon. The bright side is that you might find something worth a bit, priced low and that maybe needs only minor work or no work at all!

When it comes to brands and types I think that you will read soon all sorts in this thread , some will recommend you safe bets others will go for more adventurous suggestions. I won't say anything about this, you will have enough suggestions about that.

I can only wish you wisdom and good luck whatever you do.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,912 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,970 Posts
If you've got an eye for stencils, every now and then you'll find Martin stencil tenors on Ebay. They're usually stencils of the Handcraft model, but these can be fantastic vintage tenors and can sometimes be had for less than $500.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
stencils, .
That is definitely the way i would go too now if i was looking (for something vintage-cheap-good). You sometimes see them in quite amazing nick for very little money indeed.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You know man, if it were me- and it has been- I'd suck it up and buy a horn like a Yamaha YTS-62II. You can get a used one pretty cheap and they're built well and can take a beating. I've had my 82 on the road since I bought it. Yamaha makes a horn that will keep up with lots of playing and not "fall apart".

Often times, when you spend $500 on a horn- you only get $500 worth of a horn. Not to say that there aren't good deals out there, but keep in mind that many "vintage" horns, though well made and often pretty sounding, can also be hard to find parts for.

Just food for thought! Good luck!
For the rest of us who can't just "suck it up" and spend $1500-2000 on a pro horn (that's not vintage BTW), there's been a lot of talk about the early Bundy tenors (NOT the Bundy II) -- some value in those:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?161709-Buescher-Selmer-Bundy

+1 for JayeSF as well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I meant no offence, Robko626.
He let on in his original question that he was gigging. I take that to mean making money.

If he's currently gigging, and in search of another horn, I feel that means he has something to make money with currently. Why not hang onto it a bit longer, save, and get (not necessarily a PRO horn) but something solid that is not going to be troublesome. I try to look at the $ over time approach. I spend more $ over more time with horns that require lots of work and difficult-to-find parts when they are with me in the trenches. Why give yourself that hassle?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I see your point -- there are a wide variety of players on the forums. I'm "gigging" weekly too, but it's with a community band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
buying from those like JayeSf or Bruce Bailey (and others) who have an outstanding reputation and tracking record on this forum on selling good stuff at a reasonable price.
I'll add nottheedge (Brian) , you could send him a pm.
He may have some tenors.

You would probably have to come up some dollar wise though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I see your point -- there are a wide variety of players on the forums. I'm "gigging" weekly too, but it's with a community band.
Nothing wrong with that at all! My gig is paid and relatively consistant, but I forget sometimes that it's not just a job! Stupid house payment! Lol!

Getting us back on task, if you must go "vintage" [rolleyes]:mrgreen: then perhaps a Conn 6M? I have heard good things! A friend who is a collector says these are very nice players and don't go for too much!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think you mean a Conn 10m - yeah, those are pretty highly regarded, and I think it's hard to get a decent one under $1000. Some of the 16M's are supposed to be OK.

You can get an old True Tone from the 1920s pretty cheap...but then you're dealing with something that's 90 years old vs 50.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts