Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody!

The question is: what american vintage tenor-saxophone do you prefer and why?

I suggest to appreciate by 4 components: sound/ keywork/ intonation/ price.
On the whole.

I concider the following variants:
Conn Chu Berry (New Wonder II)
Conn Transitional (including early 10M naked lady)
Conn 10M Lady Face
King Super 20
King Zephyr
Martin Committee II
The Martin
Buescher 400 Top Hat & Cane
Buescher True Tone
Buescher Aristocrat (all of them)
(I've tried to add a poll but I couldn't)

Thank you, everybody!
Sergey.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,941 Posts
Sound is a personal preference, but for keywork and intonation it would have to be the 10M or a The martin. On price, the The Martin would probably win.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete Thomas, thank you for the answer.
My friends here say that king super 20 has the most comfortable keywork, course of the left little finger block is of the newest system.
Can you compare king super 20 and 10M's keywork please?
Sergey.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Super 20 keywork is a little more modern, especially the LH pinky table. Having played both for a long time I would say they're evenly matched for speed. I did like the King more than the 10M, but it's all personal.
Maybe you should try out a few horns, to see what you think yourself?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you should try out a few horns, to see what you think yourself?
Yep, I did try. I've tried all of them, but TT. But to try not= to play. I used to have New Wonder I and liked it very much, all sound, keywork, but had some problems with intonation. So now I play Yani T901, but not happy with its sound. I used to have The Martin, but keywork isn't very comfortable for me, the LH pinky table was too hard and small for me. The sound was deep, but too much focused and narrow and I didn't like it at this period of time. But I think there were some leaks and I didn't want to take it to the tech, so I sold it. Unfortunatelly I didn't have the rest of the horns, just tested it at the store.
To be honest I think about Chu Berry (hope it has a better intonation than New Wonder I), 10M Lady Face (but I'm afraid it is too powerful for me, who play traditionl jazz most often) and King S20 (but it is so expencive).

I use an Otto Link 7* Tenney and Selmer Soloist Short shank, refaced by Russian famous refacer Alex Kon'kov.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Don't worry about the 10M being too powerful. They are great horns for traditional jazz.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And what about comparing 10M and Chu Berry?
(and my question anot Dexter Gordon's 10M albums...)

·
28,941 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
i play the martin,and have that model in the tenor and baritone" for alto i use the martin magna, thats a more contemporary sound, i really like the tone on the martins, plenty of thickness to them but can be pushed if required a great R,n,B HORN.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Since you are asking for opinions, I recommend a pre-War Buescher Aristocrat tenor with a serial number of 297527 or below. It doesn't matter if it is a Series I Art Deco or early Series II Big B as long it is below that serial number and has both bell-keys on the left side. Make sure it has the original neck with the curl on the mouthpiece end. And make sure it has all of its original snaps. This is possibly the perfect vintage tenor. Accept no substitutes bar a Top Hat & Cain tenor in the same serial number range.

Here's a clip of mine:

http://www.cierra.cc/ev_demo2.mp3

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I play The Martin, and although the keywork is very easy and comfortable, I find the Silversonic (at least Grumps' model) to be even easier and quicker...er.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Depends on what you're playing.

For jazzy stuff or just a flexible horn, it'd be a tough battle between the Martin tenor, Conn 10M, or Buescher 400.

For legit, Buescher Tru-Tone all the way.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Dexter played a 10M/30 M on Go. I find the 10M to have more comfortable keywork than the Chu Berry. More consistent and less flexible intonation too. The Chu has a bigger warmer sound in general. But you might have to play a Dukoff Hollywood to get closest to the Dexter Gordon sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Can you compare king super 20 and 10M's keywork please?
I've got both tenors, and quite frankly the 10M's keywork is rather clunky in comparison to that of the slick action of a Super 20. Though I could use either horn for rock or jazz, I prefer the 10M for jazz and the Super 20 for rock. The Super 20 has a nicer transition between octaves and the upper palm key notes might be the very best in the business. However the 10M is just a solid all around horn. I mean... if I hear the word "tenor", I think of a 10M... if that makes any sense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Be advised that Stephen's assessment of the 10M's key action is drastically opposed to the opinion of many players who grew up with the Mk VI. They'll tell you a 10M is just not designed to play rapidly. A lot obviously depends on how it's set up, of course.

·
28,941 Posts
More info on the 10M, I'm surprised no one brought this up yet: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/Conn10M_tenor.htm
That looks suspiciously like my 10M

Be advised that Stephen's assessment of the 10M's key action is drastically opposed to the opinion of many players who grew up with the Mk VI. They'll tell you a 10M is just not designed to play rapidly.
Not me. I grew up with MKVIs, and switched to a 10M overnight with no problems re: the action at all.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That looks suspiciously like my 10M
It certainly is possible, don't you send your horns to Steven for their work? Is yours a RTH model?

·
Registered
89 Posts
i own a 1935 beauscher aristocrat silver all original snaps norton springs ect great horn feels good on the keywork side easy to blow and has a great sound ,,i was looking for a vintage horn with that sound tried 10m king martin selmer liked a few but this horn blew me away ,,would love to own a big b or try one just to see what they are like ,my prviouse horn was a yammy 62 no soul at all go for a beuscher aristo or thc or big bell why be a sheep lol

1 - 20 of 58 Posts