Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a classical saxophonist who plays on traditional vandoren 3.5s.

I get a beautiful clear,even sound from brand new out of the box reeds, and then the next day or two I go back to them and they are buzzy and inconsistent between registers.

I store my reeds in an otter box with a 58% Rico reed vitalizer pack taped on the inside.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Its driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nice to see another classical saxophonist! Try a more humid pack, the one in the 70's range works for me. Be sure to wipe off your reeds when you're done. Maybe give them a few days rest to let them settle again. I used to have this problem few years ago but I haven't had it in a long time, now it's mostly response.

Out of curiosity, what is your setup? MPC, ligature, sax, etc. Also, how long are you playing your reeds before you chuck them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
The reed is probably simply "breaking in" ... if a reed is perfect out of the box, that will only last a couple of plays before the cane breaks down is no longer what it was out of the box. Do you do any kind of "selection" &/or "break in" process?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had a lot of the same problems with the Vandoren reeds myself, which saw me switch to Hemke reeds for classical work after some trials with a few different brands. I have played these now for 15 years and have never turned back. Now, this is of course just my personal preference, as every player is different. Also, i have used the J. Winter reed cases since I was in high school, which made a big improvement on the life of my reeds. I had tried others and none keep my reeds as well as these cases. Again, just opinions of mine from my own experience. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts