Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a late bloomer, having started playing 2,5 years ago. Started out taking lessons on a Yamaha alto and bought my very own King Cleveland tenor after playing half a year, which I love. I play tenor in a big band in Amsterdam. Playing my sax is my passion. Now I want to buy an alto. I put several bids on a Buescher Aristocrat and a King Zephyr on eBay, but didn't win them. Yesterday I read about Kessler custom saxes as being a good alternative for for instance a Yamaha. What is wise? I love the look of the vintage saxes. But I am still not experienced enough to know that I can play easily on every sax. I have never played on a 20's or 30's sax for insance. What would be the advise you want to give me? Keep on bidding for one of those beautiful vintage horns, or buy a new Kessler or a used Yamaha? Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Michiel, the Netherlands

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I would say to go for a Conn 6M or Martin Committee from the 1930s as these are priced well at this time. The 1920s horns may not be as well suited to your playing as the 30s models. I don't have any Conns or Bueschers right now but I do have some Committee series one and two for under $1,000US shipped to Europe. The Yamaha YAS-23 is a good and should be found in Europe saving the shipping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,941 Posts
Press Bruce Bailey to tell you some more about what he has for sale or check out http://vintagesax.com/alto.html for some more nice options.

BTW, I recently purchased a horn from Bruce and vouch for his integrity as a seller.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think the good Dr's first suggestion will cost you less, Bruce always has a great stock of very reasonably
priced horns and he is also more than willing to share his expertise even if you just have questions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Thanks for the votes. I try to replace each model with a nicer one thus I sell off horns that are 95% perfect when I get one 99% perfect. I found an all original Comm II alto with original lacquer, case, mouthpiece, pads for about $1,500 which is the kind I look for. Now the Comm II I mentioned is ready to leave for about what I have in it. I have a Comm I (replaced with a silver one) that is a relacquer but really a good one for a bit more. Same with my silver typewriter (I got it on SOTW) which needs a home as a minty gold plated one arrived. Flutes are my business but saxes are just a passion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
hello Tuneman, I have a few horns (I am olny a few Km away from where you are) that you can com to try and see if there is something for you.
I will also PM you

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Both Milandro (Andre) and Bruce are great guys who you can trust. If looking on Ebay then you have no idea what the playing condition will be for a 80 year old horn. Check out Milandro as you can play his horns. If you don't find what you want Bruce is a good second choice, but I would avoid Ebay for this type of horn as you could wind up spending big $$ fixing what may have looked like a nice horn to make it into a playing horn. If neither suits I'd look for a newer horn rather than the Ebay gamble.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ebay is a gamble for sure. I have got some great buys off of ebay--but I have also paid good money for total junk. I bought one "vintage" horn that was a "good player" that had been their late fathers--it had pads held on by duct tape. At least when you buy form someone who knows saxes--you will get a playable horn with all the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everybody,
Thanks so much for all your input and advise. I have been offline for a couple of days, due to work, and find all your replies. This is all very helpful, you taking the time to help me out. Milandro already contacted me and I will also contact Bruce. I am curious.

Michiel

·
Registered
272 Posts
BTW, I recently purchased a horn from Bruce and vouch for his integrity as a seller.
I heartily agree with that!

I am a Selmer man, have been for decades. Can't go wrong.... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts