Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
has anyone of you experience with the Flexitone Ligature by Rigotti (for tenor mpc)?
Would it contribute to a warm, smooth and dark sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,693 Posts
Hi,
has anyone of you experience with the Flexitone Ligature by Rigotti (for tenor mpc)?
It is better than masking tape. What ligature are you using now?

What is your experience on tenor? The player has a much greater influence on the sound than most anything else - including the mouthpiece, ligature, reed, and horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,973 Posts
George, you need to throw out that old dried out masking tape.
Splurge on a good roll and you never go back.

I dont want something marketed as flexi. I want solid dependable tone. You can have your joe lovano pouffy subito air stuff.

I wanna be turrentine! Ish!!

Anyway, i too would be interested to hear about this lig. I
Like the rigottimreeds on tenor!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,693 Posts
George, you need to throw out that old dried out masking tape.
Splurge on a good roll and you never go back.
How did you know it was old and dried out? We're still talkin' masking tape, right?

Don't tell anyone, but just last week, I rushed to rehearsal without a ligature in my case or gig bag. First time in 45+ years! Yes, I used FRIGGIN' (tm) masking tape for a ligature. It sounded stuffy as a Rovner, but it worked.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
If you are experiencing poor reed response that changes when you fiddle around with the ligature, I will bet the back of the reed or the table of the MP is not flat thus not sealing reliably. Fix that interface and the ligature will not matter.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,973 Posts
If you are experiencing poor reed response that changes when you fiddle around with the ligature, I will bet the back of the reed or the table of the MP is not flat thus not sealing reliably. Fix that interface and the ligature will not matter.
Changing the lig. but using the same reed on the same mouthpiece. I am a Scientist(R). I only allow one variable at a time.

dsm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no problems with the tight fit of reed and mouthpiece. I have heard that ligatures can have an impact on the sound. Or wouldn't you say that?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Great ligs, but a pain in the *ss to move the mouthpiece for tuning or other purposes, everything comes off when you try and twist it!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I use cold soaked leather string wrapped tight, tied off with best reed and then baked at 150 degrees for about 2 hours or until juices run clean. Sounds delicious.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,382 Posts
Hi,
I have no problems with the tight fit of reed and mouthpiece. I have heard that ligatures can have an impact on the sound. Or wouldn't you say that?
A long debate....
I used the Borgani flexitone (that looks exactly like the Rigotti)
It does great job and looks very cool.
With troubled (=warping) reeds, other ligatures are better in pushing the reed against the table and partially compensate the warping. I now use Absolute ligatures.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Automotive lighting Amber Orange Entertainment Visual effect lighting I recently got an Absolute ligature that Marco made to fit 10mfan metal mouthpieces. It's a noticeable difference in tone and response over the Rovner that's provided with the mouthpiece. It's easy to use, stays put and sounds good. He has ligatures sized to fit alto and tenor HR mouthpieces in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts