Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Such a beautiful horn, but a felony to possess. Would you risk it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-SELME...1:g:nmsAAOSw1rpcNpLv:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Just out of curiosity, do you mean it is a felony because it's currently unlawful to possess a serial numbered item with the number removed, or because of the tax evasion long ago?

It is curious that they removed the logo on the bell, but not the neck, and the serial number on the back, but not the hidden one...

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
Not worth it. Folks steal and alter because other folks go along with it. Why be a party to that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
Id want to see documentation. There is less likelihood that this specific one was stolen...being debranded would defeat the purpose of theifery but I would want documentation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
The serial number is still present on some parts Douglas Pipher could find out which was the original serial number. The original fraud is, probably, by now no longer punishable.

Is there a law in the States that prevents the current owner to sell this horn?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Looking at the stamping on the bell to bow brace I'd guess that the serial number is 52684...which would be a 1953-ish SBA.

The number listed on the paper is 55130. It looks like the paper is supposed to be supporting documentation for the purchase of the 'Sax and accessories' but that serial number is too new for 1953, and too new to match the date written on the paper: 19/9/50...and that serial number is up into the Mark VI range. In my opinion, the documentation does not match the Sax...I'm not sure what is going on here.

It is too bad that the logos and serial number have been defaced...otherwise it is a gorgeous Sax...

Edited to add that a 1950 SBA would be in the 396XX to 433XX serial number range according to the Pipher serial number list.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Looking at the stamping on the bell to bow brace I'd guess that the serial number is 52684...which would be a 1953-ish SBA.

The number listed on the paper is 55130. It looks like the paper is supposed to be supporting documentation for the purchase of the 'Sax and accessories' but that serial number is too new for 1953, and too new to match the date written on the paper: 19/9/50...and that serial number is up into the Mark VI range. In my opinion, the documentation does not match the Sax...I'm not sure what is going on here.

It is too bad that the logos and serial number have been defaced...otherwise it is a gorgeous Sax...

Edited to add that a 1950 SBA would be in the 396XX to 433XX serial number range according to the Pipher serial number list.
They didn’t have the two key guards on the bell keys in 1953, it’s older.
I’ve had a horn stolen. The iffy provenance don’t sit well with me.
Good think I don’t care for silver plated saxes anyway.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
I'd be interested at $1500 but who would buy a defaced horn at $4500?

·
Registered
697 Posts
according to one reference i found, the french franc was valued at 400ff / 1usd. that would make the purchase price less than $150 - does that seem reasonable?

i don't know anything about selmers, does this look like a legitimate sba sans logos?

·
Registered
907 Posts
according to one reference i found, the french franc was valued at 400ff / 1usd. that would make the purchase price less than $150 - does that seem reasonable?

i don't know anything about selmers, does this look like a legitimate sba sans logos?
Well, according to the exchange rate listed here, it was approximately 349.9 French francs to the dollar in 1950, which would make the 1950 cost roughly $157.56 USD.

Further, if we take inflation into account using the CPI (as computed using the BLS calculator), this is equivalent to about $1,689 in current dollars, which seems reasonable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good grief! I just minutes ago posted a question here about the value of the Mark VI bought in Paris in 1968 and brought through customs without any problems, courtesy of a compassionate desk agent.

Then I see this and suddenly I'm wondering if I could be accused of a crime.

Not a good way to brighten up the afternoon.

·
14,268 Posts
widetrack: The crime is possessing a serial-numbered item with an obliterated serial number. Most, if not all states in the U.S. have criminal laws forbidding that situation for obvious reasons. It used to be a felony in California - not sure what level it is now what with all of the revisions that have taken place in CA law.

Your description in the other post did not mention an obliterated serial number. It is not a crime to buy something in Paris and carry it into the U.S., unless of course the item is contraband or some other forbidden item. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
Correct. And it is not a crime to not get charged a duty as you import the instrument. Nor is it a crime to wipe out the manufacturer's logo, unless done for fraudulent purpose.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thank you, Dave. That's a relief. Also a relief I don't live in California. And no, while I probably looked like a criminal--if not a felon--after about three months living on a motorcycle, driving around Europe without much in the way of amenities. The customs guy's exact words were: "That's alright, 'cause I don't give a s**t." I was out the door before he put a period on the sentence.

Do you have a sense of how this situation would affect the price I could get for it?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
Do you have a sense of how this situation would affect the price I could get for it?
What is the situation? is it just that you were not charged the duty in 1968? It will have no effect at all on the value.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts