Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
superba - give the seller full marks for trying, he hasn't reduced the price since he tried to sell it in July !

http://csax.net/?p=849

Could catch someone, possibly, if they offer him a very much lower price - but still end up paying more than market value...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
there is really no limit to optimism and gullibility so someone can have the first and hope to meet someone with the second.

·
2,057 Posts
Absolutely, the only (very modest) cost for the seller is the ebay listing fee, if it doesn't sell. What is the old saying ? Something like "There's a buyer for everything out there, it's just a case of attracting their attention..."

As long as none of us get's hooked, it's a case of 'buyer beware', or maybe "a fool and his/her money are soon parted" ?

(been there, done that, got the t-shirt, hopefully now a little bit wiser, certainly older :bluewink: )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
there is really no limit to optimism and gullibility so someone can have the first and hope to meet someone with the second.
On the other hand he deserves full marks for trying. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did notice that it says "Make Offer"... Maybe he'd be willing to settle for a reasonable offer... out of curiousity, however, what if someone makes an objectively unreasonable offer? For instance- "Your sales price is $4000 but I will offer to purchase it for $4.00?" Obviously the seller ignores it but could someone be banned on ebay for harassment?

·
6,715 Posts
I did notice that it says "Make Offer"... Maybe he'd be willing to settle for a reasonable offer... out of curiousity, however, what if someone makes an objectively unreasonable offer? For instance- "Your sales price is $4000 but I will offer to purchase it for $4.00?" Obviously the seller ignores it but could someone be banned on ebay for harassment?
Or perhaps the seller could be charged with taking the p*ss.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Dang! I've got an old C.G. Conn C Melody I inherited from my Dad. It was passed down to him from his Dad. He made me promise never to sell it but I never play it (hate C Melody). The thing is in like new condition and plays great for what it is. I play it once every 6 months or so just to keep the pads from getting brittle. If this guy can get 4 grand for his Buescher I might have to break down and sell mine (sorry, Dad).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dang! I've got an old C.G. Conn C Melody I inherited from my Dad. It was passed down to him from his Dad. He made me promise never to sell it but I never play it (hate C Melody). The thing is in like new condition and plays great for what it is. I play it once every 6 months or so just to keep the pads from getting brittle. If this guy can get 4 grand for his Buescher I might have to break down and sell mine (sorry, Dad).
First off, this guy is not going to get 4K for that. We have discussed this Ebay posting before.

Second, why do you "hate" C Tenors... thats a strong word isn't it? Just curious...

Third, IMO if it was your grandad's and your dad asked you to keep it then poor taste IMO to break a promise and sell it. Plus a good Conn will only get you around 500-800 at ultimate best.

Fourth, ignore me and my opinions because I am just a fool who thinks he is learning to almost play sax kind of badly on a 91 year old Conn C...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I think it's a her with a silver jewelry business, but what the heck...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Delusional. Perhaps he thinks it is worth more because it's an older one. (Whereas I would have naively thought the post-1923, snap-in pad models would be more desirable.) But maybe he knows something about C-Mels that we don't?

·
6,715 Posts
Dang! He made me promise never to sell it but I never play it (hate C Melody).
I agree with DannyMetalC that "Hate" is a very strong & unjustified word to describe a sax which is slap bang in the middle of the saxophone range.
One could say that the outer ranges are not to everyone's taste & could perhaps question the raison d'etre for the soprillo.... but to hate a mid range horn that sounds like a saxophone is hard to understand.
I believe this is a sycophantic issue....sometime ago an august member of this community made a mildly, tongue in cheek, disparaging remark about C tenors, & those who follow, followed. :cry:
The S type Invictor gained a reputation as a dangerous car because a leading racing driver had a bad accident in one. He later stated that it was entirely his fault, he made a mistake....but it was too late, the myth was firmly established.
The delightful & useful little C tenor suffered the same unjustified fate.
The bright side being that this calumny results in the cognoscenti being able to buy them at bargain prices....I hate to think what my Martin typewriter would have cost had it been pitched in Bb.

·
2,057 Posts
Ah, now I understand, to quote the seller, the sax has been thro' a "full professional rehab..."

Still suffering withdrawal symptoms probably, hence the confusion about value ? Poor old thing, shouldn't happen to a gentle old C at its age, what is the world coming to ? :(

·
6,715 Posts
Ah, now I understand, to quote the seller, the sax has been thro' a "full professional rehab..."

Still suffering withdrawal symptoms probably, hence the confusion about value ? Poor old thing, shouldn't happen to a gentle old C at its age, what is the world coming to ? :(
Possibly rehab for it's feelings of insecurity...."no-one listens to me & no-one plays me". :cry:

·
2,057 Posts
Now then Mr C Buescher, don't be sad, just get a metal Lawton 8*BB and a Plasticover #3 reed - they'll listen to you then !

·
6,715 Posts
Now then Mr C Buescher, don't be sad, just get a metal Lawton 8*BB and a Plasticover #3 reed - they'll listen to you then !
Absolutely spot on.
Let us not forget also that the Bb tenor, prior to Coleman Hawkins, was accurately described by Humphrey Littleton as "having a flacid, farty rubbery & stuffy sound".
In fact, not a bad description of a Conn counter tenor (thank you Dr G for that good description {used in public for the first time}) with it's original mouthpiece. :bluewink:

·
Registered
609 Posts
could perhaps question the raison d'etre for the soprillo
I've been following the thread about the true Sub-Contrabass horn also. Can you imagine being able to feel the hertz in your mouth! The sound of that thing just... erm ... hert.

I have a suspicion that the player was the problem more than the horn in the clips provided though.... maybe Saxtek could give it a go?

The bright side being that this calumny results in the cognoscenti being able to buy them at bargain prices....I hate to think what my Martin typewriter would have cost had it been pitched in Bb.
Such rich alliteration! Of course the effect you describe is one of my favorite things about C Tenors, the prices stay down when the illusion that they are shoddy is maintained. Perhaps we shouldn't be posting such secrets here on SOTW... before we know it they could rocket up in value- *snicker* ... Not.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts