Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I mean… you’ll get an answer for every type of reed you can buy almost. Reeds of soprano work just like on other saxes. What type of mouthpiece? Does it have a baffle? But, ultimately what have you tried and what did you like? That would sort of answer your question though…
What mouthpiece are you playing?

I probably like the overall sound of Rigotti blue box reeds best overall (3L), but I tend to use Select Jazz (3S) on my main mouthpiece (a Gerber Solo LC) because the palm keys respond better with them. They tend to run a little brighter, Solo LC warms them up a bit.

On soloist-type squeeze throat pieces, though, I only use the Rigottis.
I use a Morgan Jazz Large chamber Soprano 7 which is .070.

· Registered
R&C 2V Sop, YAS61S, YTS61S, YBS62.
825 Posts
Disclaimer Tenor sax experience here!

Personally i think the legere synth reed sounds boring and dull compared to vandoran reds - but they play out of the box, dont warp, are easy to maintain in regard of hygiene and i get an even response bottom to top. I struggle with alt G on tenor with reds, but not synths. I like not to struggle with individual reeds and toss out two or three of them out of a full box because i dont like them.
Think I’m going synths on all my horns for that reason alone.

If only they didn’t make them transparent. so difficult to align them on the mpc without my glasses or in lowlight conditions lol
“Boring and dull” is a very high price to pay for ‘easy’.

Gimme cane.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
When I asked Joe from Sopranoplanet to make my Metropolitain, he recommended Marca Superieur reeds. At first they were too resistant for me but, after a brief ‘getting to know you’ stint on Java greens, the Marcas brought everything together. 2.5 for both.
Interesting, I’ve never played a Marca Superieur reed. I want to try some 2’s because I think the 2.5’s will be too hard for me.

· Forum Contributor 2017
“I play sax but mostly it plays me”
10,034 Posts
What kind of reeds do you like? Strength and brand? I’m trying to see what works for most people. Thanks.
I use Legere’ Signature Cut both 2 1/4 and 2 1/2.
I haven’t played a wood reed in more than 7 years but thinking I might go back to wood reeds for recording.
I find the Legere speak well and are consistent

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just got my box of Java Red 2’s and loving them so far. They are easy to play but darker than Rigotti with more stable intonation. I’m going to play these for a while and see how these work for me!

· Distinguished SOTW Member
1,332 Posts
I used to play Vandoren Red Java ane V16 both #2.5 for many years. 4 months ago I put on a Rigotti gold 3 soft. And I have played the same reed since then both at rehearsals, at gigs and in the studio. Mouthpiece tip opening .069"

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You'd have to, playing a .070" tip getting familiar with soprano. I'm willing to bet even a softer reed won't spare you from fatigue with such an open tipped setup.
I tried the same mouthpiece in a smaller size and didn’t get on with it well so I guess this is the tip size for me.

I got some Vandoren ZZ 2.5’s and like them more than the Java Red 2.0’s. I’m tired of buying reeds that I end up not using so I might stop here. I do want to try the Marca Jazz 2.5 filed though.

· Registered
274 Posts
RSJ 3H or 4S, Virtuoso 7.

Reactions: 10mfan

· Registered
R&C 2V Sop, YAS61S, YTS61S, YBS62.
825 Posts
I’m tired of buying reeds that I end up not using so I might stop here. I do want to try the Marca Jazz 2.5 filed though.
I feel you. I now have 4 large boxes. 1 each for SAT and B full of reeds. And on each horn/mouthpiece there’s just 1 or 2 boxes and strengths that are exactly what I need.

Maybe we start an unused reed exchange program?

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
29,056 Posts
I tried the same mouthpiece in a smaller size and didn’t get on with it well so I guess this is the tip size for me.
Some brands have their sweet spot, so you can only conclude that the same brand in a smaller tip isn't for you. Not that any smaller tipped mouthpiece isn't for you. I know I'm not the only one having you reconsider your choice in this regard. I mean heck... I play a very open tipped J Super Session on soprano, but that's not even as big as .070" and I've played soprano for over forty-five years. Most of that time however, was on a relatively closed tipped piece, working up in reed strength to build my soprano chops. What you haven't confirmed or denied however, is the fatigue factor that your setup likely gives you. Could you play a two hour set with that open tipped mouthpiece?

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just played at a jam today with a Java Red 2 and felt comfortable. I’ve been using this reed for a few days and it seems to work the best for me compared with the others I’ve tried. Palm key notes are a bit tricky but manageable with some work. I’ve stopped buying new reeds to try now! Unless there is some ‘better’ version of a Java red out there I’m sold on these. I do have a box of Vandoren blue box 2 reeds still coming though so who knows, maybe those will work too? So far it seems any 2.5 reeds are too hard, while the Rigotti 2’s are too soft.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
29,056 Posts
So far it seems any 2.5 reeds are too hard, while the Rigotti 2’s are too soft.
The reeds are fine. It's the huge tip opening of the mouthpiece that you're using that is stifling your development. On soprano, if you could manage an extreme tip opening then the upper palm keys would be effortless. Simply put, those notes are easier to play with a bigger tip opening. That you're having trouble in this regard is symptomatic of the problem I've diagnosed for you. You may really, really want to play the piece you're using; but you do so for the wrong reasons.

· Registered
230 Posts
What kind of reeds do you like? Strength and brand? I’m trying to see what works for most people. Thanks.
It obviously depends a great deal on the rest of your setup, especially the mouthpiece and ligature.
I prefer a very wide tip opening with a rolloff baffle and a large chamber inside.
Mine is a Berg Larsen stainless steel 115/3 with a Rovnor Lite ligature. I then use Rico Plasticover #1.5 reeds. The Plasticover breaks in fast and lasts FOREVER. The thin reed allows me to really coax out a lot of great, edgy, dark tone from the turbulence in the oversize chamber, and having a large tip opening lets me overblow like crazy without having it stop up on me. The lite ligature allows the entire reed to vibrate. I also am more able to play those 5-6 hour gigs without getting sore or tired.

· Registered
230 Posts
The reeds are fine. It's the huge tip opening of the mouthpiece that you're using that is stifling your development. On soprano, if you could manage an extreme tip opening then the upper palm keys would be effortless. Simply put, those notes are easier to play with a bigger tip opening. That you're having trouble in this regard is symptomatic of the problem I've diagnosed for you. You may really, really want to play the piece you're using; but you do so for the wrong reasons.
I'm confused. You seem to be telling the OP that he should have an extreme tip opening, but he should get rid of the extreme tip opening? Which is it?

· Registered
Soprano, Bb Clarinet, Stowasser Tárogató
82 Posts
It depends very much on the mouthpiece design. D'Addario Jazz Select 3S unfiled works great on my Dukoff D7, which has a high baffle. On the Selmer Metall G (about equivalent tip opening, but very low baffle), the same reed is less comfortable, still need to find the best reed for the Selmer.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts