Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve only tried Rigotti 2.5’s and 2.0’s and Java Red 2.5’s. I ordered Java Red 2.0’s and ZZ 2.5’s to try. I’m looking for a balance between ease of play and palm key intonation stability.

· Registered
4,370 Posts
I’ve only tried Rigotti 2.5’s and 2.0’s and Java Red 2.5’s. I ordered Java Red 2.0’s and ZZ 2.5’s to try. I’m looking for a balance between ease of play and palm key intonation stability.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Too soft and the palm notes won't dial in, too hard and you have to work too hard across the whole range. Got to find that sweet spot. And that spot will move as your chops develop.

For what it's worth, I play Rico 2.5 or 3 on a fairly open Runyon (.067). I prefer 2.5, but if I'll be playing a lot of altissimo, I have to go up to 3 or it won't speak up there.

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,474 Posts
What mouthpiece are you playing?

I probably like the overall sound of Rigotti blue box reeds best overall (3L), but I tend to use Select Jazz (3S) on my main mouthpiece (a Gerber Solo LC 0.070") because the palm keys respond better with them. They tend to run a little brighter, but the Solo LC warms them up a bit.

On soloist-type squeeze throat pieces, though, I only use the Rigottis.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,529 Posts
I make my own. They are similar to AW jazz reeds. They are approximately 4s. The cane comes from Rigotti. I used Rigotti, AW, Francois Louis, Pilgerstorfer, Roberto’s, and Woodstone in the past. All use Rigotti cane except AW and Pilgerstorfer which, I think, use Glotin cane. As was stated above, it is entirely based on your sound concept, your setup, and your physical makeup. Anyway, good luck!

just a quick addendum. I play a .085 on g mezzo (wood Jessen mouthpiece) and .075 on Bb soprano (EB I’ve had since 1983).

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,120 Posts
How was Dirty Harry's famous phrase ? "Opinions are like ####; everybody has one".

We are 60k++ in this community, a lot of opinions to come. :cool:

I keep trusting the other Harry's excellent reeds, Fiberreed Carbon Classic on soprano, size M.

· Registered
763 Posts
Whacky experimentation with alto Reserve reeds 2.5 and 3.0 (and maybe Hemke alto next), but mainly use Select Jazz unfiled 3S on both 5 Virtuoso and F Super Session. Wish I could try one 3M before buying a box--think the top palms would be more reliable if bell notes remained robust.
Love/hate the sop sensitivity to small changes in MP position and voicing--with great control comes great responsibility.

· Registered
Martin C 3 1952 bari, 1966 MARK VI TENOR, 58 Buffet Alto, 28 Martin sop, Leblanc Eb bass clarinet
197 Posts
I play Rigotti Gold Blué since 20 years.
On Soprano i don't enjoy thème cause they're too bright .
I'd rather play my Via Coro 65 with Daddario 3 m or Alexander 3. Sometime, i Can play Vandoren Green Java but 2,5 are toi soft for me and 3 a little hard.

· Registered
108 Posts
Disclaimer Tenor sax experience here!

Personally i think the legere synth reed sounds boring and dull compared to vandoran reds - but they play out of the box, dont warp, are easy to maintain in regard of hygiene and i get an even response bottom to top. I struggle with alt G on tenor with reds, but not synths. I like not to struggle with individual reeds and toss out two or three of them out of a full box because i dont like them.
Think I’m going synths on all my horns for that reason alone.

If only they didn’t make them transparent. so difficult to align them on the mpc without my glasses or in lowlight conditions lol

· Registered
Trevor James Soprano
57 Posts
I bought some Hemke 2.0 when I got the soprano but my tutor told me to get Vandoran but I can barely blow a Vandoran 2 so I am staying with the Hemke.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,602 Posts
I have played many brands on soprano .
Rico Royal worked well for me ,,for many years,,but now i am on Legere Signature.
Can t stand those Legere reeds on tenor though.
Treu just like a fellow mate here just described them as not the best sounding,,but they are ready to play anytime ,,even sitting there for 15 minutes.,or half an hour,does nt warp in the summer,,etc.
But definitely a can reed sounds richer.
All the best
Saxobari

Reactions: KasperKat
1 - 20 of 87 Posts