Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been to a club called Blue in Portland Maine tonight and heard an amazing local vocalist named Taylor O’Donnell. I would love to hear what venues are good in towns across the US and other countries.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve actually played here a couple of times but it’s been a few years. It was nice to be reminded of a really great club where people really listen. I’m sure this is the norm in bigger cities, so it’s nice to see you here in a smaller community.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,927 Posts
Although I haven't been since I left Phoenix and moved to Kansas I can recommend "The Nash" in Phoenix. Great club that features local talent as well as nationally know names. The club was founded by Jazz in AZ and honors Lewis Nash, a very talented and successful drummer from Phoenix.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts
Re: What’s your favorite local jazz venue in your town? Portland, Maine: Blue

The Rex Hotel in Toronto was very good this weekend. Clive Bells in Detroit,as well as Bert's market Place and Bakers keyboard Lounge
[ Gotta Go by Detriot Waynes Music Shop too] Yoshi's in Oakland,Ca.
Been seein some good jazz at Bar Lunatico in Brooklyn, then locals at Fat Cat and of course Smalls in NYC.
The Lilly Pad in Boston is good Mondays and as listed. I am lost for Jazz in D.C though .
I been goin to Cafe Nine in New Haven and seen some great local players, full ensembles too!
Im making a point to see as much as I can afford to see, so I miss a lot of venues at Smoke an the bigger places

Anyone have some new places in Brooklyn I should see let me know- I know there out there!
If you come to NYC let me know and I will come to your venue, perhaps we can have a beer.:grouphug:

If anyone knows where I can go see Al McLean play let me know please , I very interested to see him live.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I’ve been to a club called Blue in Portland Maine tonight and heard an amazing local vocalist named Taylor O’Donnell. I would love to hear what venues are good in towns across the US and other countries.
Any place where there’s nobody singing works for me.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,028 Posts
Re: What’s your favorite local jazz venue in your town? Portland, Maine: Blue

Clive Bells in Detroit,as well as Bert's market Place and Bakers keyboard Lounge
[ Gotta Go by Detriot Waynes Music Shop too]
+1 on Cliff Bells and Baker's, and I also suggest the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe in Grosse Point.

There's also a new place called the Blue Llama in Ann Arbor, I haven't been but the reports are very good.

Burt's is a place I'd recommend only to my worst enemies. Maybe not even them.

And yeah, the Detroit Sax Center / Wayne Music Studio is a great stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts