Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

been looking for a new mouthpiece, had issue to play my JJ HR 7* in tune on my Barone, it played way too sharp.

My mind was set on a Ted Klum Resotone (HR). So I went to a store to try it and various other pieces. Alas the store was out of Resotone and only had a Focustone.

I tried the following mouthpieces against my JJ:

JJ New York 8*: I loved the tone but it was way too opened for what I am used to! (.105). I couldn't play any altissimo. The ring ligature worked better than I expected.

Ted Klum Focustone .105 I liked the tone, it was definitively richer than my JJ but it was a bit too bright. I would have really liked to try the Resotone. My teacher, who tried both, told me there was not that much difference between them... My lig (Marc Jean) had better response than the 2 screw that came with it.

After listening and reading Mr Neff review of the Ponzol M2 SS I was curious to try one. Way too bright and edgy for me :( It was a .110 and I clearly lacked breath support to get the best of it I think.

The salesman also had me try a Lebayle Jazz 6 which left me cold and out of breath! It was VERY free blowing, too much for me. I think it was freer blowing than the DV NY and the Ponzol M2!

When I bought my JJ HR I had tried a Link STM and well, it was not a very good experience... (I was only playing alto at the time and was only thinking of renting/buying a tenor) A year later and after playing tenor almost exclusively for the last few months I asked the salesman to bring me an STM 7 for sake of comparison....

I went home with the STM :mrgreen: After reading repeatedly how bad the STM quality control was I was under the impression it was impossible for a non-refaced STM to actually play nice or be a worthwhile buy. Boy was I wrong! I may have been lucky and gotten a good one (my non-expert eyes could not see anything wrong with it) or maybe I am simply unaware of its flaws or impending doom that will be upon me :D

In any case for now it plays WELL, much better than my JJ HR which has a skewed tip (the tip and the reed are NOT parallel!)

At this point for me this is the perfect mouthpiece. It is darker yet I am already able to shape its tone from dark to quite bright. It will allow me to develop the famous Link chop TM that everybody keep referring too. (I have no idea what that means :D)

Finally as a bonus: Wife is VERY happy that I ended up spending so few $$ on the piece.

Thanks for reading my ramblings :p
Jeff

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...there may be some bad stms out there,but there certainly are some good ones as well...if it makes you feel better have a mouthpiece rfacer check the rails for you...there must be someone in Montreal

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,569 Posts
It is great to find a mouthpiece you really like to play. Good luck with your new horn and mouthpiece!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
You and I must BOTH be lucky. I've picked up a modern 6* STM and a modern 7 NY STM (both below retail) and they both play great for me. Found out that the lig for the STM was not sealing the reed as it should so picked up cheap Rovner EVO-5 lig on a whim and now the reed is sealed well. The lig for the NY STM will lose it's plate if I'm not careful but it seals the reed very well when installed. The STM had been my favorite piece but lately that NY has been growing on me the more I play it!

So there you go. There are good to great ones out there! Congrats on the acquisition!

·
12,707 Posts
There are some really sad examples out there. Granted I am picky as all hell since I dont have to pay a refacer but I find they all can be improved. That is not to say that there are not examples that are definitely reasonable. It is really the luck of the draw. Congrats. Im glad you discovered that you dont have to spend a fortune to enjoy a decent setup.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got a NY model from Junkdude; I expected to have to get it refaced, but it plays great right now. Great to the point that I'm afraid to change anything. There are good ones out there; it's luck of the draw.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Many stock Links I have played have been relatively stuffy, tubby and unresponsive. However, there are good ones out there. I play a stock HR Link on Soprano. It has a great sound and response.

·
2,319 Posts
My off the shelf 7*NY STM plays great just as it is. Not stuffy, plays nicely top to bottom, excellent altissimo, able to play dark or bright, depending, and is very reed friendly. You just have to make sure the ligature ( Rico Olegature 4G) is about 1/8 inch from the end of the ridge on the tip side.

·
5,444 Posts
My off the shelf 7*NY STM plays great just as it is. Not stuffy, plays nicely top to bottom, excellent altissimo, able to play dark or bright, depending, and is very reed friendly. You just have to make sure the ligature ( Rico Olegature 4G) is about 1/8 inch from the end of the ridge on the tip side.
Pretty much exactly my experience on both the STM and STM NY! I can go perhaps a 1/4" to 3/8" from tip but thereabouts is the sweet spot!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I think there are more good Links than bad Links at this point. I also think that the metal NY Links and the HR vintage Links are more consistent than the standard models. I haven't played the vintage metal so can't comment on those.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Congrats on the new piece. I have a stock Link here (early 80's) that plays just great. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.
btw there's no such thing as Link chops, so don't worry about developing them or not.

·
12,707 Posts
NY models seem to be more forgiving and a little better constructed...Im not sure why.
HR Vintage models can be terrible but because the chamber is smaller they are more forgiving.
New Vintage metal pieces are inconsistent, they need more baffle, and the tip rail is made like vintage pieces

Both new vintage pieces have trouble with response due to tip rails frequently not even closely matching the reed.
...sometimes it doesnt touch at all in areas. This wastes air like crazy and diminishes tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Oddly enough I played a non refaced stock NY Link for about four years and then moved to a Jody Jazz HR*.

Although it sounds like either over time your JJ got warped or something was fishy from the get go.

What's important is that you're comfortable and are able to get past the gear aspect now and start shedding.

Happy playing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts