Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I, too, would like to find a list of Weltklang serial numbers. If you are successful, will you please be kind enough to let me know?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Weltklang has separate serial lists for baritone and other types.

Baritones made approximately from 1960 to 1990 year. Serial numbers from 1 to 10 000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
blogrock said:
do you know where can i find info about that?
The truth is out there... more precisely in Markneukirchen Klingenthal, Eastern Germany.
I remember reading a Q&A on ebay Germany (when I was researching W baris) where the seller said he dated his saxes with a guy working at B&S....or whatever the factory is called now.

Oh yeah... if it says "made in GDR" is before 1990 ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,632 Posts
Weltklang serial numbers are available at
http://www.solosax.de/Weltklang.xls
This list is based on a few horns of known production dates and the rest is guesswork. I found several other references of known production dates for a given Weltklang and the dates were within a year of the dates on this list, so the accuracy should be considered plus or minus a year. The list owner posts at solosax.de and might be able to answer further questions.

Mark

·
Registered
186 Posts
Weltklang serial numbers are available at
http://www.solosax.de/Weltklang.xls
This list is based on a few horns of known production dates and the rest is guesswork. I found several other references of known production dates for a given Weltklang and the dates were within a year of the dates on this list, so the accuracy should be considered plus or minus a year. The list owner posts at solosax.de and might be able to answer further questions.
I can't believe that list is correct. I bought a used Weltklang tenor in 1985 and it was missing lacquer everywhere and looked well used. The serial number list says it's a 1980 model. Could it really look 50 years old in just 5 years?!?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,515 Posts
What did it look like, stylistically, though ? Big difference between what a '65 and a '80 looks like, detail-wise......

·
Registered
186 Posts
What did it look like, stylistically, though ? Big difference between what a '65 and a '80 looks like, detail-wise......
It's a soloist with the gold lacquer with chrome keys. I'll post a photo taken in 1986. Maybe someone went hard at cleaning it.

·
18,515 Posts
Nice horn...wire bellbrace, which IMHO leans it towards pre-1975...so, the list in this instance is quite reasonable on the date estimation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I am new here in the forum.
I am planing to buy a Bari sax and I like the Idea of a Weltklang saxophone. I didn't see here any comments on the differences of the Solist and the non solist bari saxophones?
People who played the Weltklang and chinese saxophones have any comparison thoughts about it?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A renowned service guy told me to not waste my money overhauling my old Weltklang. His opinion is that the intonation is not great on these horns. I've been playing an old dark Selmer for 30 years now and when I recently had a blow on the old Weltklang I was amazed at the roaring beast of a sound that came out of it. It served me well when I first started playing and was playing in bands competing against guitarists.

My suggestion is that when buying any horn you go and have a play. If you are new and don't play well, take someone with you to see how the sax plays.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,492 Posts
The Weltklang Baritones are one of the best products which came out from this factory and are widely appreciated.

They are certainly not in the same category of some cheaper Weltklangs . The factory which as you know , made also B&S blue labels, had moments in which especially the alto production was really of low standards but this didn’t affect all their saxophones.

The latest of their Sopranos and the Baritones certainly belong to their best production.

I have owned one Weltklang Baritone and one B&S Blue label. Both had low A. Weltklang had a very special key arrangement for which the Low A was reached both with a key by the thumbrest and with another key on the left hand plateau.

The quality of the sound is good and powerful, also intonation (with quirks not unlike any instrument). You can buy one for €1500. Personally I’d rather invest in a Weltklang low A baritone than in most Chinese brands. If you are looking for a relatively low price Bari, think of Jupiter too.

·
18,515 Posts
I have refurbed 4 Weltklang baritones. They were all quite good. Very respectable instruments. Their new owners were quite pleased.

Intonation was in the pocket, they blow pretty freely.

Having refurbed around 50 Weltklangs altogether, I agree w/ Milandro - I feel their Baritones and Sopranos are better than their Tenors and Altos.

If my choice was between a Weltklang BigHorn (in good playing shape) and Chinese brand.... I'd consider it a no-brainer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts