Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Others know better than I do, but apparently some Weltklangs were made by Julius Keilwerth's kin. It bugs me that they're being billed as "Keilwerth made". Keilwerth is a brand name with a reputation, and I think this description is misleading at best. Some supposedly reputable sellers are doing this, and it's sleazy dealing as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry, I don't have anything substantial to offer, except to repeat that Weltklangs have a very iffy reputation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Silver-Sax,

Thanks for directing to the information. Very helpful. Your the one who sold the sax I mentioned above, aren't you?

·
Pro Musician and World-class Repair Tech
66 Posts
These are well built saxes, with a nice darker vintage type sound. I have worked on a few and the design is not bad, but for one complaint... the G# cluster keys are sort of small and uncomfortable.
I had pretty good luck with the intonation, for a low a bari, with a few different size/chamber mpces, so that was ok.
richard keilwerth still makes saxes today, under his own name. they are fairly comparable to JK product.
Oh, yes, one other complaint, the cases are crap (can I say crap here???) they don't support the sax well and will allow the body tube to bow... and I have seen them have shipping damage that included bent body tubes, bell to brace damage and neck curl damage, because of the case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
710 Posts
I'll second the case being a problem. I saw one of these on Stephan's shop that was in excellent shape, except for being severely beny just in the middle, right where the body tube rested on a "cushion" inside the case.

Too bad it wasn't playable in that condition; I would have loved to give it a blow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, I think that was my horn, you saw at Stephan´s shop. Was it around December last year?
Needless to say, Stephan did a great job on it and i like it a lot. Even he had to open the body, the silver finish is still in perfect condition!!
I can highly recommend his work.
And YES, the cases are CRAP. Don´t even think about shipping these horns in their original so-called cases.
BTW, I got it for 790 Euro :lol: :lol:

·
710 Posts
Hobis, it must have been yours alright. I'm very glad Stephan got it playing again (but I knew he could).

Congrats on a great looking (and no doubt great sounding) bari!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I played a borrowed Weltklang Bari at school for about 3 years and I really loved it.
The sound was really great, a lot darker and softer than the Amati :evil: I play nowadays.
The only thing that bothered me was that the whole mechanic was sooo heavy going - it was a bit like body-building :?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Weltklang bari

Body-building ??? :lol:

I have Selmer Mk 6 and Weltklang and I do not think, that the keywork of Weltklang bari is bad. 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do definitely not think that the keywork is bad, but my fingers (especially the short ones) were aching after every big band session - one gets used to that :lol: . Maybe I am just spoiled - also playing a JK New King alto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am sure, that all the saxophones under the name of Richard Keilwerth are built by Julius Keilwerth. Richard Keilwerth is a producer of very good clarinets (german system) and flutes and only took the saxophones of JK in his program.

Unfortunately the Julius Keilweth Company is selling cheap instruments in germany, which are made by Amati, Czech Republik. I don't know, why a highly reputated Company is trying to destroy this reputation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am sure, that all the saxophones under the name of Richard Keilwerth are built by Julius Keilwerth. Richard Keilwerth is a producer of very good clarinets (german system) and flutes and only took the saxophones of JK in his program.

Unfortunately the Julius Keilweth Company is selling cheap instruments in germany, which are made by Amati, Czech Republik. I don't know, why a highly reputated Company is trying to destroy this reputation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just couldn't resist...

... buying an Weltklang Bari in June. It's one of those with the rolled toneholes - I really like them. BTW: No more Bodybuilding required!
I got repaired, I bought an new MPC (Selmer C *) and a gigbag for it to sleep in :lol: .

My only problem is the intonation of the "middle A" - sometimes it does strange vibrato sounds without me wanting it to. But I'll keep working on that :roll: .

Does anyone have experiences with this horn and an Otto Link 7 or 7* MPC? I tried it, the sound was great but I was not able to fix my filed Vandoren reeds on it - strange isn't it? The reeds were kind of too thick :evil: . And we didn't find any other ligature except the original one that would fit even with unfiled reeds :( .

·
Registered
563 Posts
I congratulate you! :p
Weltklang - a good saxophone

I collect Weltklang baritones. Weltklang made these saxophones from the end of the sixtieth years till the end eightieth. Exist no more than 10 thousand baritones (numbering (serial numbers) for sopranos, altos, tenors and baritones separate).

Baritones Weltklang have insignificant differences:
Toneholes - rolled or usual.
The inscription “Weltklang” - is horizontal or vertically or without an inscription.
The globe on bell - various kinds of the globe or without globe (last models as “Solist”; there are baritones similar to "Solist", but without an inscription "Solist" and with pads without resonators).
Silver plate – polish or satin finished (first models).
Pads - with metal resonators or without resonators.

But certainly all baritones Weltklang approximately almoust identical. 8)

·
1,937 Posts
Are you sure it isn't Kohlert made? I love Kohlerts. Keilwerth worked for Kohlert. I have a Kohlert tenor and alto. Both are large bore solidly built horns, with great intonation and tremendous altissimo ranges.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts