Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

is Weltklang bari - Solist a special kind of sax? How is it in comparison to the other Weltklang baris?

Is it normally a silver sax? or gold lacquered?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
They're nothing special - a pretty basic entry level bari with typical East German no frills build (pre-Reunification era), though they had better keywork in some areas than the Amati baris of the same era.

They're normally clear lacquered with nickel plated keys, though some are in silver plate. The later ones may have been gold lacquered depending on the distributor's spec.

They were made for Vincent Bach (stamped Elkhart/Sonora), B&M (Champion), Berg Larsen, Trafford, some were stamped Lafleur (though most Lafleur saxes were made by Amati) ... basically any name was used by whoever they were built for and distrubuted by (as is currently happening with Taiwanese and mainland Chinese saxes).

·
Registered
402 Posts
They're interesting saxes... I somewhat disagree that they're just basic baris if for nothing else, simply for the fact that they have a low A. I'm also not sure if the soloist had Rolled tone holes (my non-soloist has rolled tone holes). Very nice horn in my opinion, and I doubt I'd sell mine simply because I could never get another low A bari for what I got mine for.

Very good and versatile sound, however the build quality is a bit on the iffy side IMO. Some things about the horn don't seem to make too much sense... The low C guard is attached to the low C TONE HOLE... The upper crook bracing is flimsy and should have been better supported. I had Jim Germann of Pittsburgh, fix these complaints, and would suggest anyone who takes these horns out for gigs to do about the same...

Check out the search feature, as several other on this board (myself included) have written reviews about Weltklang baris and even more specifically what differentiates a soloist from other Weltklang baris.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
The upper crook bracing is flimsy and should have been better supported.
There's no cross bracing on the top coil as you'd find on most baris - only the one fixed stay connecting the top coil to the body, fitting in between the lowest part of the U-tube and the body section, so the socket end is left pretty vulnerable to being bent putting it out of line with the upper 8ve vent key. More often than not it would get bent around while being carried in the case, but it could be bent back easily enough.

Similarly the bell had a fixed (soft soldered) stay which wasn't really adequate - though the bell is soldered on so that at least offered some strength. Not the most attractive bari in the world with the joint below the bell flare, though it's not alone with this feature.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's true that that these lack additional neck bracing, but on the other hand do you pick it up by the top coil?!

I actually think these are quite reasonable baris - particularly for the price. You get decent, proper rolled tones, the double low A option (I mean the thumb-operated key), modern articulated pinky keys, and fairly nimble keywork. There's also a nod towards esthetics with some scrolly-stuff around the joints. I also feel that they have a strong sound, particularly up in the palm keys.

I have one of these (!), and for doubling it's fine but maybe not the best choice for a dedicated bari player..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts