562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Negative. I should have it by Friday or Saturday. I can't stop smiling! Mayho

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got IT!!!

I picked up the sax today but I didn't have the chance to play it until 9:30 PM. First impressions: I thought it looked small Compared to the AW 586. I sat them side by side and they are the same length. I put my Super Session J and Vandoren V16 #2, Selmer 2 screw lig.

I only played for 30 minutes the 901 is just easier to play, better intonation, smoother mechanics, the keys feel closer, the left hand pinky cluster is much smoother. I would agree that the Antigua represents one of the better values in saxes today, but do not kid yourself it is not a yanagisawa.
The only issue you must decide is it worth the extra money. I would say try the yani!!

I still can't play but now I can't play a better sax. Mayho

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have same setup as you mayho; Yani s-901 and SS-J. I tried some mouthpieces and notice that the biggest selmer SS model has absolutely best sound and easy to play. I have been happy T-991 owner couple years now.:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Tom: Great report - I laughed. So glad you were able to upgrade . . . and you are right, in my opinion. While the Antigua IS a great value, the Yanagisawa is the better instrument. Keep us posted on how you develop with it. DAVE

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More info

I'm very impressed with the stock hard rubber mouthpiece that came with the sax. I've noticed a slight problem with the G key. I know it has a tendency to stick on most saxes, but on this one the action feels just a tad stiff. I don't think the pad is actually sticking, but the response is slow. I also get intermittent fluttering on the same note when doing scales. I have found that if I loosen my lips that problem goes away. I'm surprised at how loose I can play and still sound good. Mayho

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mayho,

Congratulations on the new Yani. I told you you would love the 901 soprano. I've been through them all and keep coming back to Yani's when it comes to sopranos, especially the 901 one-piece design, which I truly believe is the finest one-piece made, heck, the finest soprano made for that matter. I even prefer the sound over the bronz and sterling series. Enjoy!

I'm currently using the S901 with a SS "I" and LaVoz Medium Softs and it's a great combo. Best regards,

Randy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup! Mayho

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
mayho said:
I'm very impressed with the stock hard rubber mouthpiece that came with the sax. ...
If that's the standard Yani hard rubber, I agree, I really like them. Nice blowing, very even sound across registers, can push it for volume if you want, and is pretty flexible in terms of being able to tone it down or rev up the edge. Maybe its natural voice is a little brighter than my ideal, but that's nitpicking - it is an excellent mouthpiece and to get it "free" with a new horn is really icing on the cake I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I played Tom's new S901 throughout our first set Sunday afternoon (the Golden Eagle Jazz Band at Steamers Cafe, Fullerton, CA).

Wow!! The horn was every bit as nice as my S992. I compared the two side-by-side, visually and by playing them. No difference in the sound, response, or scale (so much for bronze vs. brass!).

Cosmetically and mechanically, there were a couple of differences . . . the upper octave mechanism, of course, being that the S901 has a fixed straight neck. Secondly, the S901 lacks a hi-G (no big deal) and the S901's pearls felt a bit more round than did the flatter pearls on my S992, but I doubt that is a deliberate change among various models. The rest of the horns looked identical.

Thanks, Tom, for the opportunity to play a great soprano. Best of luck with it. DAVE

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dave. As usual the pleasure was all mine. People Dave has the biggest sound I have ever heard on a soprano! I have heard him numerous times and it amazes me what he can do with a soprano. The room I guess is 150-200 ft. long x 30-40 ft wide. Dave walked out the back down a hall and still filled the room. No Amplification. The only word to describe his tone is lush. Dave is steadfast in his devotion to traditional jazz, please don't let that put you off. Dave's modesty will prevent him from stating the obvious, he is a monster player and a very nice man. If you have the opportunity check him out. Mayho

1 - 15 of 15 Posts