Sax on the Web Forum banner

Well I've gone and done it...

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  pitsen3 
#1 ·
I recently visited a local college and saw some of my old music teachers and chatted with them for a while. During my discussion, I was "volunteered" to play in the jazz band again. Well, volunteered isn't correct, I asked about it, they told me about it, I liked it, so I was told to sign up and audit the class.

I haven't played with a jazz group for about 20+ years. I'm nervous and looking for tips to survive at least the first few weeks without wanting to just stop going.

#2 ·
Embrace it. Dive into the moment and enjoy the music. Listen to the product of being in an ensemble. For me, the best seat in the house for listening to a big band is in the sax section. Whether it is the full-on roar of a swinging uptempo chorus, or the palpable lushness of a well-crafted ballad, there is magic in the midst of the band.

You've been there before. Your friends invite you back because you belong. Enjoy the ride.

"Hi, my name is George, and I love playing in big bands."

#5 ·
Andre brings up a good point - although indirectly. I typically associate "college jazz bands" as big bands, but recognize there are also smaller ensembles.

Which type of band are you joining, Robert? What part are you playing?

#7 ·
Ask the director what he intends to play this semester. If he/she hasn't decided yet, ask to see the program of the last concert performed. Nowadays, you'll be able to find most of these pieces in full on YouTube, Spotify (etc.), or find sample audio at the publishers' sites.

If the director can identify the pieces and knows what part you'll be playing, maybe you can copy the parts in advance.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone. So this is at Henry Ford College. I'll be playing tenor, but I don't know which part yet. This is their Studio 110 band. It's more of a beginners jazz class. They have the "Big Band" which is more of a professional band. I am hoping the enjoy the ride. It's been so long since I've played in an environment like this. When I was there before, I was one of the top players. I played sax, bass and drums while I was there. Now, being gone for so long, it felt good just to go in and talk with my teachers again.

I don't know. I'm probably blowing it out of proportion. There's a few things I hope to accomplish. One, learn to play again with confidence. Two, get better at soloing, cause I definitely need that. Three, show my kids, and I got a drummer at home, that if you practice more than just at school, you can accomplish good things.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone. So this is at Henry Ford College. I'll be playing tenor, but I don't know which part yet. This is their Studio 110 band. It's more of a beginners jazz class...
Release your expectations, Robert. I'm betting that your friends at the college just want to give you an opportunity to play, and to give the youngsters a vision that playing music is a lifelong pleasure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.