Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved Morgan Excalibur 7EL, which I thought I had out of reach, was discovered and subsequently chewed by my formerly beloved Schnauzer, Schiatzi. (Please don't worry about her. I am not a believer in cruelty to animals.)

Several dings on the rails and a slight one on the tip. Thankfully the rubber tooth protector saved the beak. I am afraid to try to play it. I already have an email in to Brian Powell, but it sure hurts to look at it. :(

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I removed the bite plate and the protection was not as good as I thought. Fairly dinged on the top. These Excaliburs are fairly thin shelled so I don't know if this will be repairable or not. Anybody got a 7EL that they are not using?

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For Tenor?
Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that it was tenor. I am not overwhelmed with cash at this time, but I have some nice alto pieces I could trade. (Of course, I still have a little hope that some brilliant mouthpiece guy may be able to salvage this thing. But the hope is waning)

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post some pictures. You may (or may not) be surprised.
As soon as I can get my hands on a decent camera, I will post pictures.

Phil, one good thing that came out of this is that I am re-discovering what a great job you did on a Link Millenium you refaced for me. It is an outstanding piece and I have been playing the heck out of it today. Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Years ago I had a German Shepherd that ate the B foot from my flute-didn't simply chew it up-ate it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Ah, the things we put up with from children and pets. Good luck with the mouthpiece RC.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Yeow. I'm sorry...that's gotta hurt.

·
2,853 Posts
And I thought my dog was a bad girl for licking my mouthpiece if I leave my horn on a stand............:faceinpalm:

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I have two dogs, and our music studio (as well as my husband's office and our bedroom) is an area that's off-limits to them. We boundary train any new dogs (I've had a number of foster pups) from the moment they set foot in the door, and they just never, EVER get to go in those rooms. Teaching them isn't hard, and it neutralizes the issue of chewing... if we like something they might chew, it goes in the no-dog zone, and if something they have access to gets destroyed, then it's OUR fault for leaving it there. I've had one person over who seemed to think that was cruel, but I see it as a way of avoiding the frustrating discussions over what's theirs and what's mine.

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where's the dog now?
She is alive and well. Alse she is well fed and watered. I am not a punisher and I know that what happened is it really my fault. I thought she wouldn't be able to get to it but it was not in the safest place and I underestimated her determination. She does sense that I am not happy and has been trying to make up with me all weekend, but she is in no danger. I still love her and feed her. I just have to go through my stages of "mourning" my loss.

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have two dogs, and our music studio (as well as my husband's office and our bedroom) is an area that's off-limits to them. We boundary train any new dogs (I've had a number of foster pups) from the moment they set foot in the door, and they just never, EVER get to go in those rooms. Teaching them isn't hard, and it neutralizes the issue of chewing... if we like something they might chew, it goes in the no-dog zone, and if something they have access to gets destroyed, then it's OUR fault for leaving it there. I've had one person over who seemed to think that was cruel, but I see it as a way of avoiding the frustrating discussions over what's theirs and what's mine.
Yes. I thought I had her trained better, but I was wrong. She is not a puppy but not quite an adult. I guess in Saxophone terms she is more of a "Transitional." This is the first chewing incident in a long time. I just wish it would have been my Graftonite. ; )

·
2,853 Posts
I can identify with you. My dog was never a chewer but the one thing she decided to chew on as a puppy was my pristine Beatles Sgt. Peppers album. Of all things. Couldn't she have just done my shoes? :evil:

·
Registered
361 Posts
My dog went through two morgans (alto and tenor) in the same 30 second chewing session. We're talking all material to the table was gone on both, and the ligatures were eaten-not chewed. He's a pit bull/lab mix, and was only about 4 months old. I was so bent. I feel your pain. We've since put up a dog gate that I can walk over and keeps the dogs out. It's interesting to watch him. Everytime I get back from a gig I do a better clean up job than I did at the gig. He's still attracted to the mouthpiece---and nothing else.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Years ago I lost a tenor Strathon to a determined Jack Russel terrier. When I found it it had been consumed up to the top adjuster position. I left my case on the floor, It was completely my fault. I share your pain.

·
6,831 Posts
I like our little cat :)

No front claws, and easy to keep out of things :) Except she does have a shoe and toilet paper fetish! "Charmin" fits her so well !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts