Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing this lick everywhere recently, but i first heard it in Gordon Goodwin's jazz police, with Eric Marienthal on Alto.
I've been trying to figure out how to play this for a while, with little success. I thought it would be easy (it's just a trill right?) but i can't get it to sound anything like the recording.
How do I get that rapid trill effect?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fja37wEWYd8&list=RDfja37wEWYd8&start_radio=1&t=2
(Skip to 1:45)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,018 Posts
That sound is accomplished by alternating between a note and it's 'false fingering'. That guy is a good player. Identify the note then play around until you find the fingering that will give you the alternate sound.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,374 Posts
It's not a trill. As 1saxman says, it's alternating quickly back and forth between a standard fingering and alternate fingering for the same note. The change in timbre is what produces the effect.

Try this: Finger and play an A, using the standard fingering: XXO/OOO

Now press down your right 3 fingers to play the alternate fingering: XXO/XXX

Now go back and forth quickly by lifting and depressing those 3 right hand fingers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
Lester Young used a lot of false fingerings to good effect.

Some horns sound better to me with just the xxo/oxx or even xxo/oox, depending on the effect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
My ear hears an interval of a minor third A to C on a tenor. Perhaps the C uses an altered fingering to give that muffled sound.
It's just a bubbled A then moving to a C. Without any extra false fingerings for the C.

I'd be willing to bet on that. The A has the glitz and then the next note he plays is just a normal C.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It almost sounds like it starts on c-a-a-c-a-a-a-c (the a's alternating normal and alternate fingerings or "bubbled")

·
23,374 Posts
It almost sounds like it starts on c-a-a-c-a-a-a-c (the a's alternating normal and alternate fingerings or "bubbled")
That's one I use a lot also (Hey Fader, I thought I invented it!!:)). Pretty common, actually and yet still very effective.

The other one I invented (yeah, right) alternates between C2 with the normal fingering (left hand, middle finger) and the C1 fingering (blowing the octave overtone), giving a very cool 'blues' effect. Even more common than the one with the A alternate fingering.

There are quite a few more. One of our forum members on here posted a clip showing a whole bunch of alternate fingerings. I don't remember who it was or where it was, but I'll look around when I get a chance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I’m going to go try that now :)
I got it from this tune.

Years ago I was like "I wish some day I'll be able to play this" now I play it every time I go out busking with my friend.

The first notes of this lick are octave bubble A to altissimo A with a cool walking bass line low C-C# and then up to altissimo C then down to low D to altissimo F# to octave C low D-Eb to altissimo A and F# to octave C. Actually that's basically the whole lick right there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,169 Posts
I got it from this tune.

Years ago I was like "I wish some day I'll be able to play this" now I play it every time I go out busking with my friend.

The first notes of this lick are octave bubble A to altissimo A with a cool walking bass line low C-C# and then up to altissimo C then down to low D to altissimo F# to octave C low D-Eb to altissimo A and F# to octave C. Actually that's basically the whole lick right there.

Ok. So that’s not what I came up with at all. Sadly, this was much better.....thank you. At least tonight’s exercise is decided

·
23,374 Posts

Yeah, but that's not the same thing as what the OP was asking about (which didn't include any jump up into the altissimo range):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fja3...rt_radio=1&t=2
(Skip to 1:45)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts