Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I have a 1970 N-serialed Conn bari (low Bb) which doing something very strange. Take for instance, B2. It is flat about 20 cents. I push the mpc on about as far as it can go and it improves only slightly. Then, while maintaining the same embouchure, tongue/throat position, air stream etc the pitch will "switch" and be either right in tune or a little sharp, then drop right back down to being very flat.

Does it on 3 different mouthpieces.

I don't have this problem while playing tenor (my main sax). Can you think of anything that the sax could be doing to cause this? Anything I can do to make B1 and down come up in pitch? The lower notes are also about 20 cents flat...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
Sounds like one of the keys isn't closing properly, maybe the little C pad which is up above the B - the one you don't press down on directly.

If it's not that it could be an issue with octave mech or water key.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
There could be a mouse inside your horn.
I used to play bari at a junior college. They had an almost new low A Yamaha pro model.The only problem was I couldn't take it home to practice. They had an old Buescher low Bb bari that I was allolwed to take home. Trouble was it played like crap. So they took it to a tech who rehydrated and removed a mummified mouse from inside the top of the body where it curves all the way around. It was OK after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts