Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what this could be. After I have been playing for about an hour and a half or so, the back of my throat starts to really hurt and impede my breathing and playing. I have had this problem for a while, and just realized that it could be something serious. Any ideas on what it is or what to do about it? The problem shows up when I move lots of air through the horn, so it pops up pretty quick when playing the larger instruments.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Dehydration? Moving a lot of air over the moist tissues of the throat can dry you out. This is why the sax player keeps a pint of beer on stage at all times! You're too young for that, so: water might help.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Here in Phoenix, dehydration is a big issue. We carry a bottle of water at all times, especially while playing saxophones. Except for the Phoenix natives: they have humps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trhummer said:
Here in Phoenix, dehydration is a big issue. We carry a bottle of water at all times, especially while playing saxophones. Except for the Phoenix natives: they have humps.
Any way to get one of those humps transplanted onto my back? :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you have bad allergies go to your doctor and get an allergy medication.

I recently got prescribed flonase, it really helps. It allows me to breath without restricted airways, and if the torat thing is allergy induced then it will reduce the symptoms of that as well.

And beign hydrated is never a bad thing. I always load up of water when I can.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That doesn't sound good. Either you are doing something wrong or you have a medical problem. I usually go to saxophone players with all of my medical problems. Not.

If this doesn't go away soon go see a doctor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts