Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am not one to typically complain, but wanted to find out if anybody has had bad experiences with Weiner Music. I purchased 2 Soprano Mouthpieces kept one and returned the other. This happened September 18th and here it is October 27th and I finally got a refund. I spoke to some RUDE Lady twice that stated she took care of it and forwarded the request onto their customer service department. Anyway, just really disappointed I had to fight to get a refund that took well over a month. I would love to know if there is anybody else out there with the same experience?? Stick with WWBW is my advice! Hahhhhhh

Thanks Matt

·
Banned
28,508 Posts
Well I wouldn't call it a bad experience, just maybe a less than great one.

I ordered the mouthpiece silencer made by Saxholder for my tenor. The only problem was that I didnt realize i was in fact ordering the one for bari. When I got it and saw my mistake I called and spoke with Simon to tell him about it and to arrange returning it in exchange for the tenor one.

Unfortunately it turned out I hadn't seen that there was no tenor one available and as Simon explained it to me it was because that model was discontinued and going to be replaced by one that fits all size mpcs with an adapter for each size. Since it was going to be a while before they would have one he said that he could just refund me the money in exchange for the return.

The problem for me was that they wouldn't refund me the money I paid them to ship it to me. I asked about that and he said well he could see about it if I put a note in the return but usually that was their policy not to do that and I should call customer service and ask. Meanwhile I mailed it back.

So I called customer service and spoke to the person in charge who is Sharon Weiner who is the woman you spoke to and she is a bit brusque to put it nicely. She told me flat out that they couldn't refund me the shipping and they would just refund me for the price of the item.

Ok so I accepted that as just you know the price of making a screw up on my part and waited for the refund to my American Express account. On the website it said that could be between 4 & 6 weeks. Well it was longer than 6 weeks more like seven and a half and I ended up having to send an email asking about it and immediately got a reply back that the refund had just been made. LIke after I shook their cage. When I checked my American Express account however I saw that it was short by about a $1.75 so I had to send another email to point that out and I got another email back immediately saying that that shortage had now been corrected.

So you can judge for yourself whether that's a bad experience or just run of the mill average for these places, I don't know really because I'd rather deal with my tech here in Barcelona or i buy from Amazon Spain when they have an item that he doesn't stock because it's usually cheaper than elsewhere.

I really don't know what the policy of these online sax places is regarding returns and the shipping fee that you pay for something and whether they refund that too or you just have to eat it. If that's the standard policy then you know I have no complaint but if all the others do it and Weiner music doesn't then that's a bone to pick with their service. I also didn't like the fact that they weren't timely with the refund and didn't do anything about it actually until I notified them to remind them. Plus that Sharon is not exactly you know sweet and lovely to deal with and maybe she should stay in the back office and they should get somebody with a charming personality to answer the phone. I have no complaint with Simon who was very nice.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah, most problems with Weiner seem to stem from returns. Last time I ordered from them, I ordered two mouthpieces and some other things. I returned one mouthpiece, but had to wait more than 4 weeks for a refund, plus a call in to Sharon to ask about it.
Then I saw they knocked $8 off the refund for the shipping. You see, this is the store "policy" on returns. Nevermind I kept most of the order, which would have been free shipping on its own. When I called back in, Sharon lost her temper and kept letting me know about the "policy." Despite the fact that their policy also states they'll also issue refunds within 3 weeks of a return. Pick the policies you prefer, I guess. Really, I'm not going to argue too much about $8, but I won't be treated so rudely. I'm not some jerk trying to get one over on you.
To Fred's credit, one email to him cleared it up. But they won't get my business again. There's too many other stores that get it right the first time.

·
Banned
28,508 Posts
Freudian slip of the week.
That's tapatalk for you. It still hasn't learned to distinguish between sax and sex. I think it has a one track mind.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahhhhhh! I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you!!

Ya that Sharon lady needs to retire, she is rude before you even tell her why you are calling. If owned that place, she would be FIRED immediately!! You don't talk to your customers like that. I agree with everything you said.

Yeah, most problems with Weiner seem to stem from returns. Last time I ordered from them, I ordered two mouthpieces and some other things. I returned one mouthpiece, but had to wait more than 4 weeks for a refund, plus a call in to Sharon to ask about it.
Then I saw they knocked $8 off the refund for the shipping. You see, this is the store "policy" on returns. Nevermind I kept most of the order, which would have been free shipping on its own. When I called back in, Sharon lost her temper and kept letting me know about the "policy." Despite the fact that their policy also states they'll also issue refunds within 3 weeks of a return. Pick the policies you prefer, I guess. Really, I'm not going to argue too much about $8, but I won't be treated so rudely. I'm not some jerk trying to get one over on you.
To Fred's credit, one email to him cleared it up. But they won't get my business again. There's too many other stores that get it right the first time.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I'm sorry for the screw ups or attitudes but just to answer part of the original question, all of my dealings with Wiener have been timely and smooth.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I've only ordered from Weiner a few times and haven't had any major issues. Occasionally they have some really good prices on old or discontinued items that they just want to move.

I got the same returns run-around the last time I wanted to send something back to WW&BW. If I returned the item they were going to deduct the original shipping for my whole order from the refund. When I pointed out that the rest of my order was more than enough to still qualify for free shipping without the item I was sending back the guy didn't care. Since the item I was trying to return only cost me about $25 and combined return shipping and initial shipping charge was going to be almost $18 I just kept the thing.

I'm really tired of dealing with all of these online retailers and retailers in general. They all get hacked so frequently now that my credit card company sends me new cards two or three times a year. This past year it was Target and Home Depot where I had used my card just before their databases were compromised.

·
Banned
28,508 Posts
Hahhhhhh! I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you!!

Ya that Sharon lady needs to retire, she is rude before you even tell her why you are calling. If owned that place, she would be FIRED immediately!! You don't talk to your customers like that. I agree with everything you said.
I'm guessing she is either Fred's wife or daughter. In which case she's either Simon's mom or sister, and has more clout, which is why she can get away with being bitchy to customers

But this kind of thing shouldn't even be something we have to experience, let alone need to be discussing if they were running customer service professionaly and not like some mom and pop store where customer relations is often at the whim of individual personalities.

In daily life I avoid shopping at stores with cranky or PITA employees, and I don't see any reason to act any differently online. I'm free to shop where I want, and anytime some clerk or store owner treats me rudely i simply take my business elsewhere.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,946 Posts

In daily life I avoid shopping at stores with cranky or PITA employees, and I don't see any reason to act any differently online. I'm free to shop where I want, and anytime some clerk or store owner treats me rudely i simply take my business elsewhere.
The problem is that one quickly runs out of places to shop.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The problem is that one quickly runs out of places to shop.
Right. I agree that Weiner's customer service can sometimes be brusque, but because I've always had satisfactory experiences with them and their prices are competitive I try to exercise politeness and patience, confident that it will work out in the end. I assume that, like many small businesses these days, Weiner is not overstaffed and workers' hands are full, so I am willing to cut them some slack. Given the dearth of retailers out there, I'd prefer to keep all viable options open.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've only ordered online and I have always received everything correctly filled and packed well at a very good price. I guess they don't like returns from what I'm reading here. It's a family business so I'm not surprised you that get Fred's crusty old grandmother answering the phone.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have been dealing with Weiner music for about 30 years ..almost since they came into existence with their paper catalogs via regular mail ... never had a bad experience. Yes, Sharon can be a bit gruff, but being in business all my life I have learned how to handle most personalities, and would never let her or her attitude dissuade me from continuing to do business with Weiner music. Have spoken to her a number of times and will continue to speak with her if necessary in the future. I haven't spoken to Simon as much as I have to Sharon, but the reality is they treat it like a business ....and rightfully so. Everyone is different, it is the successful person who knows how to handle the many different personalities out there in all the different facets of our business.

My only disappointment with them (not a complaint) is their lack of stock when it comes to trying out horns. This happened twice to me ...first was when i was alto shopping ,, trying to finalize between a Yamaha 875, or custom Z or a yani 991...they only had an 875 in stock ...

Second time was this summer when I was in the new soprano market ... I wanted to try a P. Mauriat ... they didn't have any and didn't want to order any for my trial unless I was pretty assured i was going to purchase one ...

However, my positive experiences are based around being a long time customer ...simon was actually going to match WWBW mouthpiece trial policy for me rather than me having to pay for all 3 mpc's up front ...I never took advantage of that deal since i was asked to go on the road for a bout 2 weeks of gigs in the northeast and would not have had a chance to try them. I call on occasion regarding requesting expediting the shipping for reeds which i have ordered at the last moment and for a variety of other reasons. Usually accommodating me when needed. Their $48 minimum for free shipping is a pain to deal with but it seems like I have no problem meeting that.

Their pricing is usually better than WWBW even after I pay the ugly NYS tax, and I usually receive my merchandise within 3 days

As far as I know, there are no companies that will refund the shipping price OR pay the return shipping. Their are many companies i have seen with FAR WORSE refund policies

Bottom line is, I would recommend them again and again.. Deal with the person on the other end of the phone ...

1 - 20 of 101 Posts